Author Topic: European breakdown cover  (Read 924 times)

OfflineDuggie

European breakdown cover
    « on: 2018-03-29 14:51:33 »
    hi,
    I’m off to sunny northern Spain in August for 2 weeks touring.
    Just to temp fate i want to take out a breakdown/recovery insurance, so I’m after recommendations....any advice on who to use, or stay well clear of ??

Duggie

OnlineCasbar

• Model/year: R1200RT 2014
      Re: European breakdown cover
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-03-29 15:37:11 »
      BMW Rescue, they were great when I needed them  8)

Offlinebandytales

• Model/year: 2017
        « Reply #2 on: 2018-03-29 15:52:05 »
        hi,
        Just to temp fate i want to take out a breakdown/recovery insurance, so I’m after recommendations....any advice on who to use, or stay well clear of ??

Duggie

I was in Spain last year and sadly the final drive of my beloved 1150RT threw its hand in.
        I was with a rescue / recovery company called 'Rescue My Car'. https://www.rescuemycar.com/breakdown/european-breakdown/

I phoned the freephone number. Spoke to an English lady. She established where I was and transferred me to a Spanish lady. She took a few details and my phone number.
        Shortly she phoned me back and we arranged the pick up of my bike.
        It was taken (at my request) not to a local bike dealer, but to a BMW dealer some 70 miles away. The truck driver did not speak English, but we got by.
        They do a one off trip at what to me looks like a very reasonable cost and claim the following:

Our European Breakdown Cover includes:
        • Cover for cars, motorcycles and vans
        • English-speaking telephone assistance available 24/7
        • Roadside assistance
        • No call out charges
        • Recovery back to UK for you and your vehicle
        • Message service
        • Cover for up to 90 days abroad, single trips of up to 31 days
        • Hire car to allow you to continue your trip
        • [/color][/font][/size]

Onlinegogs01

• Model/year: R1200RT LE 2017 MY
          « Reply #3 on: 2018-03-29 18:43:47 »
          BMW Rescue, they were great when I needed them  8)

+1 

They got me and the bike back from the South of France when I damaged my shoulder.  Just make sure your mobile phone is charged, it took a few calls back and forth  (or just don't fall over !)

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE

OfflineDuggie

« Reply #4 on: 2018-03-29 19:54:17 »
            When you say Bmw rescue are you talking about the insured emergency service and warranty they provide ?
            I have looked at that, but didn’t think they covered personal injury ?

OnlineCasbar

• Model/year: R1200RT 2014
              « Reply #5 on: 2018-03-29 20:46:23 »
              Yes BMW Insured warranty. I always take out travel insurance as well. You asked about recovery

OfflineSteve F

« Reply #6 on: 2018-03-29 21:13:37 »
                +2 on the BMW Insured Warranty with Emergency Breakdown cover. I’ve only used it in anger here in the U.K. on my last Beemer, a K13GT which had a switchgear failure on the starter switch! Good service overall.

OnlineDavid.

• Model/year: R 1200 RT / 2012 (Twincam)
                  « Reply #7 on: 2018-03-30 07:32:00 »
                  I want to take out a breakdown/recovery insurance, so I’m after recommendations....any advice on who to use.

This thread may be helpful, /index.php?topic=1091.msg9931#msg9931

BMW Insured Emergency Service, https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/EmergencyService, worked well when needed in Germany, would recommend it.
                  « Last Edit: 2018-03-30 07:43:04 by David. »

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #8 on: 2018-03-30 07:49:40 »
                    When you say Bmw rescue are you talking about the insured emergency service and warranty they provide?

I have looked at that, but didn’t think they covered personal injury?

For personal injury cover, Gold Cover http://www.goldcover.net/affiliate/, is recommended by some motorcycle tour operators.

Have had policies with them, but fortunately not had to use them.

OfflineDuggie

« Reply #9 on: 2018-03-30 07:55:01 »
                      Thanks for all the replies.
                      I’m swaying towards the Bmw warranty and emergency service, pricey I must admit, but having peace of mind is worth it.
                      Thanks again
                      Duggie

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #10 on: 2018-03-30 08:00:41 »
                        I’m swaying towards the Bmw warranty and emergency service, pricey I must admit, but having peace of mind is worth it.

BMW Warranty & Emergency Service can be paid for on a monthly basis.

Take out a policy one month before you wish cover to commence, (paid for in advance),  then cancel it after a month.

I'm paying £35.09 per month for 7 months for both a Warranty & Emergency Service.

The Emergency Service can be purchased without the Warranty.
                        « Last Edit: 2018-03-30 09:17:09 by David. »

OfflineK4MRC

• Model/year: RT1200GT 2018
                          « Reply #11 on: 2018-11-07 17:45:58 »
                          hi,

Duggie

Hi, I had a problem on a BMW K1600GT two years a go whilst on route home from Portugal - my rear tyre went, wire coming thru I had two breakdown cover's AA and unbeknown to me the remainder of my BMW warranty (Luckily)
                          I called the AA who stated that the tyre wouldn't arrive for up to 8/10 days and I would need to stay put till then (paying for hotel etc)
                          I was on way to ferry for the next day, this I explained and they said not to worry it would be rescheduled
                          I phoned the BMW line and luckily for me I did They arranged pick up for me the next day, Flew me home and the bike returned to me some 6/7 days later amazing service, so good in fact when I was changing the bike after trying lots, i picked up another BMW as the warranty was so good.

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #12 on: 2018-11-07 18:15:25 »
                            My rear tyre went, wire coming through.

Out of interest, was this basically a bald tyre, rather than a puncture. If so, that's fantastic service from BMW Emergency Services.

Looking at the Insured Warranty Policy Handbook, can't see any mention of tyres being covered.

Within the Continental Europe T&C's, General Exclusions, the handbook says,

"We will not pay for: any costs resulting from your motorcycle being kept in an un-roadworthy condition."

Surely, a bald tyre is "an un-roadworthy condition".
                            « Last Edit: 2018-11-08 12:32:56 by David. »

OfflineK4MRC

• Model/year: RT1200GT 2018
                              « Reply #13 on: 2018-11-09 21:11:24 »
                              Out of interest, was this basically a bald tyre, rather than a puncture. If so, that's fantastic service from BMW Emergency Services.

Looking at the Insured Warranty Policy Handbook, can't see any mention of tyres being covered.

Within the Continental Europe T&C's, General Exclusions, the handbook says,

"We will not pay for: any costs resulting from your motorcycle being kept in an un-roadworthy condition."

Surely, a bald tyre is "an un-roadworthy condition".

Hi, No not a bald tyre, wires came thru so my guess faulty?, I had had the bike checked over by BMW before I left Uk
                              pleased either way as I was stuck.

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #14 on: 2018-11-10 11:02:15 »
                                No, not a bald tyre, wires came through so my guess faulty.

Was it a Metzeler Z8 looking anything like this.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o716/Juice1601/hardride_zpsdde5a63a.jpg
                                European breakdown cover
                                « Last Edit: 2018-11-10 11:14:35 by David. »

anything