Author Topic: Opinion on oil filter  (Read 271 times)

Offlinekioolt

Opinion on oil filter
    « on: 2019-04-15 03:32:29 »
    I found the following oil filter cross reference site http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html.  Footnote 7 at the bottom of the page suggests that I should use the longest filter of three lengths that will fit in the space provided.  To get a better understanding here is a cut and paste from the site.

[size=1.125em]These Oil Filters [/size]have 3/4"-16 threads, by-pass valve, no anti-drain back valve. BMW motorcycles with spin on filters use three different filters. The only difference I can see is the height of the filter - it's either 65mm, 71mm or 90m. If you have room on your bike for the 90mm filters (listed below),use those. The 65mm filters are made to a very old spec with inferior filtering and should be avoided.   Use one of the 71mm or 90mm filters instead.

[/size]

What are the members of this forums opinions on this?  It sounds very reasonable to me.
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

OnlineDavid.

• Model/year: R 1200 RT / 2012 (Twincam)
      Re: Opinion on oil filter
      « Reply #1 on: 2019-04-15 09:19:39 »
      The Calsci site lists 3 sizes of oil filter for a 2012 RT, together with manufacturers e.g. Hiflo.

I use Hiflo oil filters, the correct one for my bike is a HF164.

Now for the comparison of Calsci listings v's Hiflo catalogue, http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue

Calsci height 65mm = HF160 height 62mm
      Calsci height 71mm = HF164 height 54mm
      Calsci height 90mm = HF163 height 79mm

I wouldn't fit an oil filter to my bike which doesn't meet the BMW OEM spec., Hiflo filters do. Would I want to reduce the ground clearance of the sump/oil filter by 90 - 54 = 36mm, no.

Offlinekioolt

« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-15 16:42:56 »
        My bike is a 2018 R1200RT on which the filter is vertical to the left side.  So installing a longer filter would not decrease the ground clearance.  The author of the article sees no difference in the three filters except for the length.  They all have the same threads, a bypass valve, and no anti-drainback valve.  One thing that I am concerned with is the pressure at which the bypass valve would work.  I would want them to be the same.  If that is true it would seem to me that the longer filter would have more capacity.
        The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-15 17:37:13 »
          For a 2018 R1200 RT LC, Hiflo list two filters, HF160 & a Performance Oil Filter (Optional Upgrade) HF160RC, http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/model/3408

Surely BMW have done their R&D and selected an appropriate oil filter for each model of RT.

To maintain the T&C's of the BMW Warranty, "you must, use genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification".

OfflineBobf

• Model/year: R1200rt 2017
            « Reply #4 on: 2019-04-15 18:01:54 »
            BTW, does anyone know what company makes the oil filters for the current RT's?

Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-15 18:33:38 »
              Does anyone know what company makes the oil filters for the current RT's?

This photo shows that the oil filters are made in Austria by Mahle.