Author Topic: Face full of brake fluid!  (Read 179 times)

Offline3Pines

• Model/year: 2010 R1200RT, 2009 R1200GS, 1997 K1100
    Face full of brake fluid!
    « on: 2020-07-30 15:38:41 »
    I'm quite pissed off, and not sure whom to aim it at.
    Last night, I hit a "bump" (a 2.5 in sharp curb, in essence) at 60MPH.   Thanks much, Waupaca County WI.
    At the shock, my left brake fluid reservoir "exploded", and I was treated to a face full of brake fluid.  It was no fun at 60, as I guess you'll imagine.
    The reservoir did not really explode, I don't think.   Rather it either failed, or the knuckleheads at the shop who installed it a few weeks ago did so incorrectly.
    There is a plate remaining, with dohickeys that look like they serve to actually attach the reservoir to the plate.

I can't imagine this is a BMW design feature.
    Any thoughts?   Anybody had a similar experience?

OnlinePeteM

• Model/year: R1250RT 2019
      Re: Face full of brake fluid!
      « Reply #1 on: 2020-07-31 09:38:34 »
      I'm quite pissed off, and not sure whom to aim it at.
      Last night, I hit a "bump" (a 2.5 in sharp curb, in essence) at 60MPH.   Thanks much, Waupaca County WI.
      At the shock, my left brake fluid reservoir "exploded", and I was treated to a face full of brake fluid.  It was no fun at 60, as I guess you'll imagine.
      The reservoir did not really explode, I don't think.   Rather it either failed, or the knuckleheads at the shop who installed it a few weeks ago did so incorrectly.
      There is a plate remaining, with dohickeys that look like they serve to actually attach the reservoir to the plate.

I can't imagine this is a BMW design feature.
      Any thoughts?   Anybody had a similar experience?

If it was only installed a couple of weeks ago take it back to the shop and get them to fix and maybe give you you some compensation as a brake reservoir should be able to remain intact in a crash let alone hitting a bump.

In the UK you would have to find out who was responsible for maintaining the road to claim for the new wheel.

One final thing, brake fluid is extremely corrosive, so I would be looking to replace my helmet if it got sprayed with brake fluid.

Onlinesimbo

• Model/year: R1200RT 2011
        « Reply #2 on: 2020-07-31 09:47:42 »
        "left brake fluid reservoir" is the hydraulic clutch reservoir,. its filled with mineral oil not brake fluid. 👍
        The GS 'is' the better bike :-)

OnlinePeteM

• Model/year: R1250RT 2019
          « Reply #3 on: 2020-07-31 09:55:31 »
          "left brake fluid reservoir" is the hydraulic clutch reservoir,. its filled with mineral oil not brake fluid. 👍

Yep, you are right, did not spot that - too overcome with the thoughts of what brake fluid would do to the helmet, bike, rider and clothes