Author Topic: Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.  (Read 851 times)

OnlineOur Gee

• Model/year: R1200RT 2011
    Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.
    « on: 2021-09-09 08:45:08 »
    I came across this Utube Video of an R90S being built from new parts at Max BMW in the USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVBNSjjrRo

OnlineOur Gee

Re: Interesting and Entertaining R90S Build.
      « Reply #1 on: 2021-09-10 18:00:30 »
      76 Views to date and no one has anything to say. :grave:

OfflineRTs4me

• Model/year: 2020 Mineral Grey R1250RT
        « Reply #2 on: 2021-09-10 20:12:05 »
        I've just finished watching it! Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Good to see such thorough bike preparation. Much better than some of the 'restoration' videos.

Airheads are not my thing, but I recognise the heritage that's got us to where we are today.

OnlineSteve398

• Retired
          • Model/year: BMW R1200RTW, 2018
          « Reply #3 on: 2021-09-11 21:41:24 »
          I'm rather surprised by the absence of anti-seize compound on any of the various nuts and bolts that may require removal at later date.

When I got my used 2018 model I applied coppaslip to every fairing bolt I could find and unfasten, and some of them were a bit creaky to remove... but I guess that's real world as opposed to a showroom piece, although they did take it out for a test ride in the snow and slush, damned if I would!

OnlineOur Gee

« Reply #4 on: 2021-09-12 07:55:09 »
            Interesting observation Steve as I also am a fan of "Careful" use of thread lube / anti seize such as Coppaslip. However I can't recall ever coming across evidence of anti seize when dismantling a "threaded" factory assembled connection.  As far as I know the vast majority of Torque values are given for assembly and tightening of "Dry" threads. The application of an Anti Seize / Thread Lube requires a decrease
            to the given Torque value of something like 25% depending on the medium used. Tightening a lubricated threaded assembly to a value given for "dry" assembly risks over tightening and the possibility of component failure.

OnlineDavid.

• Model/year: R 1200 RT / 2012 (Camhead)
              « Reply #5 on: 2021-09-12 13:43:27 »
              One thing BMW do like using a lot of is screw lock to stop things falling apart.

OfflineLevisp

• RT1200 LC SE
                • Model/year: RT1200LC / 2014
                « Reply #6 on: 2021-09-12 19:24:40 »
                Interesting observation Steve as I also am a fan of "Careful" use of thread lube / anti seize such as Coppaslip. However I can't recall ever coming across evidence of anti seize when dismantling a "threaded" factory assembled connection.  As far as I know the vast majority of Torque values are given for assembly and tightening of "Dry" threads. The application of an Anti Seize / Thread Lube requires a decrease
                to the given Torque value of something like 25% depending on the medium used. Tightening a lubricated threaded assembly to a value given for "dry" assembly risks over tightening and the possibility of component failure.

Agree regards dry threads and torque values. I prefer to use ACF50 Block Grease on threads and generally reduce the torque by 10% and round down. So far never had an issue.

OnlineSteve398

• Retired
                  • Model/year: BMW R1200RTW, 2018
                  « Reply #7 on: 2021-11-14 20:36:14 »

Agree regards dry threads and torque values. I prefer to use ACF50 Block Grease on threads and generally reduce the torque by 10% and round down. So far never had an issue.

I’ve only recently discovered the ACF grease which I’m now using in preference to Copperslip, and fully also agree/accept your point of decreasing the torque values when it’s applied too.