Givi Top Box

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
martindixon35

Givi Top Box

Post by martindixon35 »

Hi, On Saturday I will trade in my 1250 Bandit for a new LE.  I probably only use a top box once a year, and therefore would like to continue to use my 'as new' large Givi top box.  To fit the box I need to buy and install a bike specific mounting rack,  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301509959998? ... EBIDX%3AIT . As this rack will be on the bike without the box for most of the time, I don't want it to detract too much from the looks of the bike.  Has anyone installed one?  Does it look OK without the box on?  Anyone got a picture, as no one selling it seems to show it actually on a bike?  Many thanks in anticipation :-)
Spencert231

Re: Givi Top Box

Post by Spencert231 »

Hi Martin I am also toying with the idea of a Givi V47n ? There is a diagram of the fitting on the Givi website if that helps but no pictures
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I know of a case of an owner of a brand new 1200GS who fitted a large Givi box the day he got the bike..  He discovered that at speeds above about 70mph he was getting all types of vibration problems.  The bike was repeated returned to the dealer so sort the problem without success. Eventually BMW sent their technical guru up to try and sort it.  He removed the box, vibration gone. 
Crater

Post by Crater »

I hope these help. Fitting was reasonably straightforward but Givi instructions are lamentable. The brushed aluminium looks OK, doesn't it? Much better than black plastic.
If I understood my dealer correctly a topbox for my new lc, without color matching, was going to cost over £600. Even though I'd just spent over £14k on a new motorbike I found that a bit rich. You could buy 3 or 4 Givi top boxes for that.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Crater

Post by Crater »

And the final product....
You choose.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chad

Post by Chad »

I know the Givi boxes are cheaper but you didn't compromise when you bought the bike. After all for the cost of the RT you could have got a yang yin yong with all the luggage for half that... What I can say is all of my riding buds with spurious top boxes all experience high speed stability issues. Plus, the bmw top box when coded looks very well on the bike.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Crater

Post by Crater »

I love these threads. Getting off topic is all the fun.
The BMW topbox for the new lc, color matched, looks great. I'd like one on my bike.
I don't have a problem with the accessory. I have a problem with the eye-watering price that BMW are asking for it. And I still have a problem with my new bike being offered in three colors, ALL of which are optional extras at extra cost. Do BMW think we have money to burn and are stupid too? (Don't answer that 'cos I bought the bike, didn't I?).
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With everything in life, you get what you pay for.  Givi and the like do the job but are no more than single skinned plastic boxes with a single plastic locking point.  They can be opened in seconds.  On the other hand the BMW box is double skinned has 4 internal locking points can be coded to the ignition key or central locking system, has a built in internal light and will take a brake light.  Take it off and the bike is clean.  It will hold two helmets with ease and has no effect on bike stability at any speed even though a sticker inside tells you not to exceed 180 kph. 
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

RTman10 wrote: even though a sticker inside tells you not to exceed 180 kph.
Yeah, but who has the time to open the box and check that when he is going 200km/h :)

Frank