Up into the snow - in Norway

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
STeinar

Up into the snow - in Norway

Post by STeinar »

June - 2015 - a tour on the narrow mountain rode
From Aurlandsvangen to Lærdalsøyri
http://www.fjordnorway.com/en/ATTRACTIO ... sfjellet-/

-2c on the top, but a nice ride
The worlds longest road tunnel - is the straight variant of the same distance  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A6rdal_Tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdxXi6zlK8

Spencert231

Re: Up into the snow - in Norway

Post by Spencert231 »

You just took me back to a time I spent in Bardufoss back in the day when [size=78%]snow was white, crisp and bloody cold. Slept on reindeer hides and wooly blankets to stay warm, still a nice place with fond memories. [/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's put the snow on the Grossglockner I had 2 weeks ago to shame, and no busses, cyclists or camper vans in sight. Respect.
guest2826

Post by guest2826 »

That's spectacular STeinar. Those walls of snow at the sides of the road are impressive, like some kind of white hedgerow.

Quite apart from my dislike of intense cold, I think I'd be very worried about ice on the road making it rather dangerous for a bike, especially on the bends. Did that bother you or don't you have ice on those roads, which presumably were cleared by a snowplough vehicle.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Gaggle check out Steinar's gravel ride through the forestry. A mere think such as ice would not be on the radar for a 'Norge Ninja'.
Going off thread:
Sometimes I think the more we read the more we think about falling off and crashing. When I was young I wore jeans and helmet couldn't afford a leather jacket and did I crash badly, no or if I did I can't remember, hey I'm still here. I do sometimes think there is a very lucrative industry growing up alongside U.S. Telling us we need to wear this, that and the other and you can't ride like that unless you do a course £600 please.
I have had a big off a few years ago, but that's another story.
Great riding Steinar  :ninja:
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

gaggle wrote: Quite apart from my dislike of intense cold, I think I'd be very worried about ice on the road making it rather dangerous for a bike, especially on the bends. Did that bother you or don't you have ice on those roads, which presumably were cleared by a snowplough vehicle.
At -2c in the ear - it will be slippery where water is flowing on the road from melting snow.
The ground still has only -5-0c - and you will always have that in mind.
So - when I see water on the road - pull the clutch and just ease it over  ;)

STeinar

Post by STeinar »

RTman10 wrote: That's put the snow on the Grossglockner I had 2 weeks ago to shame, and no busses, cyclists or camper vans in sight. Respect.
Campers are always a challenge up here  :-X
They stop absolutely everywhere on the road - and I have stopped an asked them what in h? ??? ? they are thinking off.
Must of the time they say - "there is no one here" - and when I ask - if they are here - and if I'm here - and how many dead body's they need to realize this is a public road - they normally starts to think. Not all, bus some of them do.
I have often been thinking about the missing intelligent part of many Europeans. It seems that when they left home - they forgot to bring the head with them.

I was 1cm away to really get it - together with my wife ones up in the mountains.
They had stopped in the middle of the road in a 270o corner - 5m snow on one side - and "noting" on the other.
The car was in the middle of the road and children running all over.

I had 1cm left between the camper and the snow wall - and made it without hitting any of the children.
If not my wife had been with me (and talk the language of the campers) - I would probably have done something really stupid.

After a few seconds they realized the situation and made it to a safe parking spot.  3 minutes before the buss was passing.
The driver was near to throw up when he was realizing how close he was to killing his whole family when the bus was passing.

Some people will always argue - I was going to fast - but the problem is never the Norwegian buses or cars - It's always the forren campers (and buses for that mater) doing all possible and sometimes not possible stupid things.

They have NO idea how to travel and behave on this kind of roads.

Had to add another one ;-)
Ones up there - I found a big buss in my lane on the road. On the outer side there was 1000m straight down.
I stopped and asked the driver - whats up - as he was totally white in the face.
He had thrown up inside/window the bus - and was in bad shape.
He had been looking on the outside of the road to find that is was 1000m straight down - and therefor had to use my line.
I have been driving big lorries in the past and know that he was not allowed to go on this road.
I asked if he had checked the maximum weigh/height/length restrictions on this road and he confessed an sed no. I did know that he would not make it in a specific tunnel length/height - and told him he had to turn.
Well - he as continuing. I did call the police and they took care of it.

Last edited by STeinar on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

And there's me thinking that the majority of idiot driver's are in the UK, like the woman that `jumped' a Red light at School crossing, putting me and 2 others in Hospital  :-\ , writing off my 6 week old 800ST, and 2 cars, one of which was hers and `scattering for cover'  about 20 school children.......all because she had  ` other things on her mind !!' , - my shoulder still gives me `jip 4 years on >:( 

( end of rant,  but I bet most of you have either suffered worst or had `near misses . )
Last edited by stelyn on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey Steinar I hope they were not Welsh people, they can be a bit nuts sometimes lol