A day out west

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
guest2368

A day out west

Post by guest2368 »

Even though the weather was not the best I decided that I would have a run up to Portavadie on Loch Fyne on the west coast of Scotland.  The wife and a few of her friends had booked into a lodge for the weekend and I though I might gatecrash for an hour or two.

Leaving Linlithgow the weather was not the best overcast, cold & showers, never mind push on.

It stayed overcast all the way up past Loch Lomond and over the Rest and be Thankful.  It was starting to clear by the time I got to the viewpoint for Bute...

20 minutes later I was at Portavadie marina overlooking Loch Fyne, still cloudy, but very peaceful place.  I think I could spend a couple of days here myself!

Here is a few clips from the ride back from Portavadie to Dunoon.  Try and watch it in 1080, for some reason the YouTube compression has done something nasty to the first half!

https://youtu.be/P2jXH_UEW8E

John

Spencert231

Re: A day out west

Post by Spencert231 »

The road surface looked pretty shoddy which was a bit of a surprise as I expected it to be better. Watching your excellent video I found the road markings a bit off putting particularly the lay-bys with the solid white line making your side of the road wider but no broken line to determine there's a lay-by.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

The road surface was bad for about 10 miles, which was a shame as you can see the road was nice and twisty. That was the only bad piece of road, the other 200 odd miles were pretty good.

John
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

sofnolime wrote: The road surface was bad for about 10 miles, which was a shame as you can see the road was nice and twisty. That was the only bad piece of road, the other 200 odd miles were pretty good.

Hey john re read my comments it was not supposed to sound so critical of the surface just it was unexpected. The last time I was up in the Invermorrison Fort William area the surface was superb. Hey if the road is rideable it's a good road.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Another good one John,  are you using the wunderlich mount or is this mounted under the light ?
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Maz12 wrote: Another good one John,  are you using the wunderlich mount or is this mounted under the light ?
It is mounted under the headlight, just using a standard flat Drift self adhesive mount.  I think it is a better position than on the helmet...
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

That's saved me buying the wunderlich mount and getting my gopro out of retirement,  are you using some form of security wire or trusting the drift mount to stay stuck?
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Maz12 wrote: That's saved me buying the wunderlich mount and getting my gopro out of retirement,  are you using some form of security wire or trusting the drift mount to stay stuck?
I have just used the mount, no security cables...yet.  I have some Dyneema thread that I my use to make up a safety attachment.  The mounts stick like sh1t to a blanket, I don't think they will come off.

I'll post a couple of pictures of how it is set up when I get in from work tonight...

John
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Looking forward to the pics John as I am preping the bike for a ride next week. I too was on the verge of buying a suction cup mount, money in the pocket, cheers.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Right here is how I mount the camera and the remote control on the bike.  Obviously I have a mount on the side of my helmet, but I wanted a viewpoint from the front of the bike....
Under the headlight there is a nice flat spot that is almost the ideal size for a Drift flat mount....

Make sure there is enough room got get your fingers on the release clips so you can actually get the camera off the bike.  Mine ended up looking like this...

I also got a remote for the camera at this point as well, it is easy to start and stop the camera when it is on the helmet, but I didn't want to get on and off the bike to start and stop the camera.  So, I recycled an old push bike computer mount to hold the Drift remote where I can easily get to it...

That's how I mount the camera on the bike, I am also looking to get a rear facing mount somewhere on the bike as well.

John
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Cheers John,  I will mount mine at the weekend.
I have wunderlich crash bars on my bike,  mounted the camera on them once but facing the rear,  interesting view but not what I wanted, although if your were editing a film it would be nice to cut in amongst the other views?
On a separate note...  Have you had the screen mist up yet?
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I have never had the screen mist up and I have been out in some foul weather with the camera...
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Thanks John excellent will look at setting my Drift the same way. Quite ingenious how you sorted out the remote, I am sure I have an old Cateye mount somewhere. However, will look at additional safety measures to ensure the camera stays attached to the bike if the mount fails. Great job saved me a bit of money there.  :-*