R rear brake pads

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

R rear brake pads

Post by daverj »

Has anyone had to replace the original rear pads on a 14/15 R1200RT yet?  I was checking my own after 2800 miles and their didn't seem to be that much meat left on them. Plus the disc is always too hot to pinch after a normal ride and it isn't binding at all
R1250RT LE
fmantek

Re: R rear brake pads

Post by fmantek »

daverj wrote: Has anyone had to replace the original rear pads on a 14/15 R1200RT yet?  I was checking my own after 2800 miles and their didn't seem to be that much meat left on them. Plus the disc is always too hot to pinch after a normal ride and it isn't binding at all
Go to a Dealer and get this warranty repaired. Something must be wrong with your rear brake - or your foot is constantly pressing on it. This should last a lot longer....

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Remember Daverj the front is linked to the back also it maybe you are applying the back brake unnecessarily. However, thinking about it I'm not sure if that is possible i.e. Adding double the pressure to the back brake, but I am sure I will be enlightened shortly  :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you use the foot pedal by itself for normal braking the back won't last long.  Little brake/big bike. I always use the hand lever and let the bike decide how much back brake it wants. On my last RT the pads were still serviceable at 15K.     
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

daverj wrote: Has anyone had to replace the original rear pads on a 14/15 R1200RT yet?  I was checking my own after 2800 miles and their didn't seem to be that much meat left on them. Plus the disc is always too hot to pinch after a normal ride and it isn't binding at all
On my 3rd set in 8000 mls.... >:(
In discussion with BMW Motorrad UK & Germany as to getting it sorted... they don't think it's a problem,  tho my local dealer says they're all coming in at between 3500 & 5000 mls!

I've never had pads wear at this rate on any other bike ive owned... These are supposed to be long distance tourers,  capable of crossing continents.... as long as you take a spare set of pads with you!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Are you using genuine pads each time?  I was wondering if another brand might be better wearing? Glad I'm not the only one with the problem but disappointed given it's a new bike
R1250RT LE
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

daverj wrote: Are you using genuine pads each time?  I was wondering if another brand might be better wearing? Glad I'm not the only one with the problem but disappointed given it's a new bike
2nd set were Ferodo's... Just put EBC's in...  The piston side is the worst for wear... tho the sliders are moving fully. My question is ... have BMW cocked up with the proportion settings to the rear caliper?
The combined brakes theory doesn't wash with me as I've had bikes previous with these & never had wear problems like the RT.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I was thinking the same as this would explain why the disc is always hot and the caliper is not sticking. Think I will have to contact dealer in case it needs attention.  Thanks all for your help
R1250RT LE