Starter retraction squeal

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
rglassma

Starter retraction squeal

Post by rglassma »

At approximately 25,000 miles my 2005 RT started squealing at the starter right after it turned over. . I remove the starter and took it apart and cleaned both halves of it with penetrating oil and washed it out really well, then put it back together again.  I then reinstalled the starter and the squeal was gone.

Now the bike has 60 thousand miles on it and it started acting up again. . Does  anybody else with a hex head have this problem?
Last edited by rglassma on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Starter retraction squeal

Post by richardbd »

My guess would be that the starter motor needed cleaning and lubricating...

:)) :)) :))
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I am aware of that.  But is it a common problem?
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Did the work today. . Removed the starter. . There was caked on grime on the bendix shaft. . The confusing thing is: the bendix shaft and gear are covered by a hood.  That hood only allows exposure of the gear where it meshes with the flywheel. . So the question is where is all the dirt coming from?  Could it just be from clutch wear??  It is meshed in the engine case and not exposed to the elements.  I gueas dirt could be blown in when the air is reflected at high speed. . So, I cleaned it all up and put a light coat of moly grease on the shaft. . Reassembled. . Starter performed normally.
Last edited by rglassma on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

To it sounds like you would be an ideal neighbour as I would not have a clue what to do in that situation. I hope it has solved the problem rglassma.
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

It would be my pleasure to share what I know.  I am not the greatest wrench for sure.  I think I lack confidence more then anything else.  But, I had done it before.  So, experience is the best teacher.

I think this will have to be another preventative maintenance procedure along with changing the alternator belt every 35K or so.  When it starts to sqeak, I have to take a peek ..  :))
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I know how to do something when I am shown normally once is enough unless it's Excell Doc. I suppose confidence is my problem with the scanners. I have to take the wiper arms of my Citroen C4 to remove some large plastic to get behind the dashboard as the drain hole is blocked and I get water ingress in rain i keep avoiding it like the plague, simple enough, but break into a sweat when the spanner comes out lol
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Well,  I have owned my RT since 2007.  I have performed all of the maintenance on it with the exception of the recall items and brake flush. . With over 60K on it,  I have found repetition is the best teacher.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I agree 100% about repetition: EDIP

Explanation
Demonstration
Imitation
Practice, practice, practice, etc