Planning on using Channel Tunnel think twice

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Planning on using Channel Tunnel think twice

Post by Spencert231 »

[size=14px]and Belgian governments understand that if a solution isn’t found to save our 600 jobs, there will be a lot of disruption this summer.[/size]
[size=14px]“When the mobilisation ramps up, we’ll block everything, which could disrupt Eurotunnel,” he warned.[/size]
[size=14px]Eurotunnel said on its website: “Our passenger service is temporarily suspended due to a breach of our terminal boundaries.”[/size]
[size=14px]Strike action by around 400 workers last week caused major traffic jams of lorries.[/size]
[size=14px]Sorry to be the bearer of further bad news but just got sight of this one trawling through French news. [/size]
Spencert231

Re: Planning on using Channel Tunnel think twice

Post by Spencert231 »

Here's a little more graphic bloody idiots.

[size=21px]Protesting ferry workers forced the closure of the Channel Tunnel linking France and England on Tuesday, blocking its entrance and setting fire to tyres thrown onto railway tracks.[/size]
Attachments
image.jpg
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Came home via Chunnel last Saturday evening, glad to say not during the strike the day or so before, but certainly noticed there were quite a few immigrants on the nearby roads and climbing fences. Unions + immigants = big trouble.

Met lots of ferry booked folks on the way out in Maidstone services, they all pretty worried about the general situation.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I was booked to come back tomorrow but reading their site and the news changed my booking to Thursday.  Eurotunnel only charged me £10 for the privilege on line as it was impossible to get them in the phone.  Now it looks like its running again but they want £30 to swap back.  No chance.
I came across on Sunday with no disruption except the police had shut the E40, sent hundreds if not thousands of vehicles  off at a slip road and forgot about them.  GPSs don't cope well in those circumstances. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Don't forget French Air Traffic are on strike Wednesday and Thursday this week if it goes to plan they were originally going to strike today but we're talked out of it. My missus was due back Thursday looks like I am not going to see her forcanotherbweekmif that's the case, bummer >:(
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

Do bikes get held up in operation stack or continue to the terminal?

Just booked my crossing for later in the month and resigned to hitting some problems!

Will be taking some provisions just in case!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure but when we came down the M20 on Saturday there were portaloos alone it every few hundred yards going back a few miles from the tunnel slip road.  Not sure if they use all the lanes for parking though  Also there were signes up about the A20 not being available due to road works at the tunnel.. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: Not sure but when we came down the M20 on Saturday there were portaloos alone it every few hundred yards going back a few mikes from the tunnel slip road.  Nit sure if they use all the lanes for parking though  Also there were signes up about the A20 nit being available dye to road wirks at the tunnel..
RTman10 are you on the brandy again or new glasses :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: RTman10 are you on the brandy again or new glasses :))
Both, but then again being stuck in a 4 star hotel in Luxembourg, why not.  Amendments made. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: Both, but then again being stuck in a 4 star hotel in Luxembourg, why not.  Amendments made.
Oh how the other half live ;)  I only have memories of those high flyer days >:(  enjoy!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

French Air Traffic Control has called off strike for tomorrow and Friday yippee get to see my missus. :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Spencert231 wrote: Oh how the other half live ;)  I only have memories of those high flyer days >:(  enjoy!
There's you, living in the South of France, bike in the hall.  Sounds OK to me. 
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Problem is my house is a money pit, oh well we live and learn, says a man with two divorces behind him and just got married again, yes i know.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Roll on  the weekend when this strike is lifted and  `OP Stack'  removed,  the roads around here ( at Ashford  12 miles from the Chunnel)  are still  bloody chaotic...... >:(
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Mark05RT wrote: Do bikes get held up in operation stack or continue to the terminal?
Just booked my crossing for later in the month and resigned to hitting some problems!
Will be taking some provisions just in case!
Mark, when `Op STACK' is in full swing,  Police shut the M20 at Maidstone  junction 8 (Service Area ),  often to  j10,  to all vehicles other than Freight,  diverting traffic down the A20, which is OK for Bikes,  through Ashford then back onto the motorway at j10 to carry on South .    If as you  approach  j11a  ( the Slipway for the Tunnel  )  and see traffic is  backed up onto the Motorway , queuing,  carry onto  j12,  just 1 mile ahead,  turn off and LEFT, back along  A20 as there is another `little known'  official entrance to the Tunnel slip road.    Then just filter to the `Self Check in Booths )  much quicker when traffic problems.  This is a legal entrance to the Tunnel slip road, except to Lorries during  Op Stack,  to prevent `queue  jumping '.      How do I know -  I had  Offices inside the Terminal  and at Coquelles France for a few years.
  ps -  personally if travelling down, and `Stack's on,  I'd come off at j7  through Bearstead and then  follow A20 otherwise you will be in the queue being diverted off at j8  and that often stretches back solid  for over 2 miles as all traffic  is taken off.
Safe journey,  Steve..... ;) 
Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window