Iberian Peninsula

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
SwartGevaar

Iberian Peninsula

Post by SwartGevaar »

[size=12px]I’ve got a germ of an idea to do a solo tour of the Iberian Peninsula this September. [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]My initial thoughts are, starting from Santander to hug the coast as much as possible in an anti-clockwise direction. So, very loosely: [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]Santander -> Porto -> Lisbon -> Gibraltar -> Valencia -> Barcelona -> Santander [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]I’ve got about 2 weeks (flexible to a degree) which based on some very back-of-fag-packet sums should be achievable averaging about 200/250 miles per day (which is more or less my comfort zone) even with a couple of rest days thrown in. [/size][size=12px][size=12px][size=12px]I really want to avoid motorways as much as possible but, as I’ll be on my RT, I won’t be seeking out gravel back roads either. [/size][size=12px][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px]As someone pointed out to me some time back, camping is for the young and/or the poor [/size][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px] and I'm neither - so I’m looking to B&B and/or hotel it during the trip. [/size][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px]If I may, I’d like to pick the brains of the ‘tinternet collective with a view to pick up any tips, suggestions, etc regarding routes, where to stay, what to do, what not to do, where to go and what to avoid. Or indeed anything else you think may be useful! [/size][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px][color=rgb(24, 36, 48)][font=Verdana][size=12px]TIA [/size] ;D
BMjoe64

Re: Iberian Peninsula

Post by BMjoe64 »

Sounds epic, was going to do something similar last year but decided against it as we were limited to 10 days and like a couple of days where we can ride luggage free. So we did a figure of eight from Santander taking in Pecos and then over to Andorra for the Pyrenees. Another factor against the grand tour was the time we would be in built up areas, bike security overnight and such like. We almost did a compromise of going down to Porto and then across the central belt but it looked like too much flat dusty riding so we canned it. Hope you get what you want.