brake switch

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
brummie198w

brake switch

Post by brummie198w »

Hello everyone.

I brought my 1st bmw a few months ago and i had a very slow speed drop doing a u turn on a hill idiot i know. The bike went down on the pannier and the rocker guard. Ive developed a fault with my abs (normal im sure) whats the chances the drop is the reason for the failty abs pump. Any help appreciated
guest2360

Re: brake switch

Post by guest2360 »

Bit more info needed.  What RT do you have and year.  What's it doing to make you think the pump has gone? Most unlikely a simple drop would effect it unless the sensors have got damaged.  If when it was dropped the back wheel kept spinning when the front one had stopped, or vise versa, it could have recorded a fault code that would shown on the dash.  You will need to get the bike plugged in at a friendly dealer to sort that.
brummie198w

Post by brummie198w »

Sorry 2006. I lost all assisted brakes . It kept resetting for a time and then just didnt. The garage i brought off claim the brake switch got damaged and burnt out the motor except the brake light works fine
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your bike has servo assisted brakes as well as ABS. Don't understand what they are calling a, brake switch.  If you just have residual braking, ie next to none with the lever coming nearly back to the bar you should get it to a BMW dealer asp.  If its the servo/abs  unit its big bucks. I assume you got it from a non BMW shop.
brummie198w

Post by brummie198w »

That describes my braking. It has gone back to the dealer i brought it off and hes bypassed the abs unit but cant get the red light to turn off on the dash. I told him i want it working properly and hes said not under warranty due to the "accident"
brummie198w

Post by brummie198w »

On the brake switch item. I assume the micro switch on the rear brake activates the brake light and the abs pump
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The brake light switch has nothing to do with your ABS pump. That is controlled by the two ABS ring sensors on the brake discs.  If your serve isn't working on start up that's another story and only a BMW dealer will be able to properly tell you what going on.   
brummie198w

Post by brummie198w »

So the rear brake pedal doesn't control the abs pump
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Both brake levers front and back control it as they are semi linked.  Is the rear lever damaged in any way?  I cant see that touching down in a simple drop. And as for the switch getting damaged and effecting the servo unit, I would say no way.  .