Planning to be nice to me

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mr Gone

Planning to be nice to me

Post by Mr Gone »

I'm currently riding FJR1300. Looking to gift myself with R1200Rt. I First fell in love with R90s And boxer motor in 70's. Cat in my high school had one. It and my uncles 75 gold wing were the exceptions in engine and power train format.  Looking at R1200RT for 60th b day. Any watch out fors?
guest2360

Re: Planning to be nice to me

Post by guest2360 »

None at all.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: None at all.

If that's what the Site Gurhu says take it as gospel. I am sure there would be many on the site that would concur with that.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The only thing I would add is with the LCs definitely any of them.  With the air cooled versions 2005 to 2013 steer clear of 2005/6 as they have servo brakes which are no better than non servo but cost buckets if they go wrong.  Lots swear by the uprated 2010/13.  I could never tell the difference.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I've had a series of BMW bikes, last being a 1600gt, one ride on a 15 RT caused me to trade the 1600
No regrets, if you can afford it buy a loaded bike, esa, nav, radio mine came with keyless jury still out on that
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

T6pilot.  Iv gone the same route. GTL to the RT. RT wins by a mile.  I had keyless in the 1600, much prefer a key as you still end up with a fod for for central locking and alarm.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I was also K1600 to RT WC. Sometimes miss the top speed but otherwise love the new bike. Don't miss the weight!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Mr Gone wrote: Any watch out fors?

Yes - they are all really slow, apart from the rocket-speed Callisto Grey ones...
Crater

Post by Crater »

If you are buying new:
It is an exceptional bike. It does everything really well. And it is nowhere as big and heavy as it looks.
The SE model is the sweetest spot for many.
I went to my two closest dealers with a part-exchange and the deals were very different. Worth shopping around if you have the chance.

ALL the colours were optional extras (how does that work?). The new platinbronze colour this year looks fabulous in the pictures.
Everyone deserves a special 60th birthday present.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

richardbd wrote:
Yes - they are all really slow, apart from the Callisto Grey ones...
Which are slower than mopeds  :)) :))
Crater

Post by Crater »

According to this week's MCN 85% of new BMW motorcycle sales are on PCP. BMW 4.9% APR certainly looks better than Japanese 9%.
Easy to get carried away with the extras though.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I am relieved to say my bike is mine and I won't be looking for cash at the end to pay to keep it, it's mine, mine, mine I tell you  >:(
Manofleisur

Post by Manofleisur »

Spencert231 wrote: I am relieved to say my bike is mine and I won't be looking for cash at the end to pay to keep it, it's mine, mine, mine I tell you  >:(

Me as well, bought mine second hand as reputation of BMW lasting for many many years enabled me to pay cash. Running costs are still there on a brand new bike, so feeling pleased with myself !!! :)
halflife1973

Post by halflife1973 »

I too purchased a used one with low miles on it.  Has everything except audio (if u can afford it I would add it as currently trying to retro fit a stereo.  I came from a ducati multistrada which was a fantastic machine but a bit expensive to run and I was always afraid of the bill if it went wrong. Really impressed with the bike. Handles well.  Engine lots of torque and likes to be short shifted. Don't be fooled by the size,  I have stayed ahead of some very fast bike on board the RT.  Gearshift assist pro Is brilliant.  Make sure it is included.  All this and I can now ride for nearly 300 miles without having to fuel.  Bloody Brilliant,  best bike I have ever owned

Sent from my Be Touch 2 using Tapatalk