Cold Starting Issue

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Seattle1260
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
United States of America

Cold Starting Issue

Post by Seattle1260 »

I have a new 2015 1200RT and I have noticed that it rarely starts on the first start cycle when its "cold".  When I start it in the morning or even during the day (after it has been several hours between rides), it will typically not start when I hold the START button down.  I have experimented with it and even holding the button for 4-5 seconds produces none of the magic one would expect from such a wonderful machine. However, the 2nd attempt will always result in instantaneous ignition.  I don't know if I am expecting too much from this bike and this is normal so I wanted to pose the question to this forum. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and/or comments.
guest2360

Re: Cold Starting Issue

Post by guest2360 »

Doesn't sound quite right to me. Mine can stand for a couple of weeks and still start on the 2nd or so revolution.  its always as good as instantaneous when warm. Get your dealer to check it out. Probably a fuel pump/line issue. Remember no throttle when cold and not a lot when hot.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seattle1260
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
United States of America

Post by Seattle1260 »

Thanks for your response RTMan.  I will give the dealer a call.  This won't be an easy problem to trouble-shoot.  I only see this when it has sat for 5-6 hours and once it starts, it always starts after 1-2 revolutions.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Seattle1260 wrote: Thanks for your response RTMan.  I will give the dealer a call.  This won't be an easy problem to trouble-shoot.  I only see this when it has sat for 5-6 hours and once it starts, it always starts after 1-2 revolutions.

My bike has sat in winter temperatures over weekends and starts first time. In fact my bike has not been started since May 4th and when I decided to turn the key I have expectations of it starting first time. Unless you guys think it unwise without me giving it a dose of battery maintenance.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mine sat from 6 June 14 to 7 Sept waiting for its new shock. Started first touch with no charge.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Mine has also always started first time.  The only exception was when it had stood alone and unloved for a month whilst I was in Iceland.  Then it started second go...

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Well I have finally got around to getting on my bike after a long lay off (May 4th Prostate Op). I promised myself when I controlled my incontinence to a respectable level (if any form of involuntary peeing is respectable  :)) ) . I wheeled Arty out and said to my missus you are to witness this: ignition on first touch of the button and started strongly first time. I had to explain to her then why I had bought my Optimate 4 which is still unused in the box and that took some doing :-[

I went for a ride did plan on a decent one, but the missus said do the short route (30 min) and come back as there is some evidence of the motion causing upset. Well I made it back in the 30min and guess what she was right. Although I handled the bike like I had never been away from it came back like I was sea sick, so it's a case of little and often I think.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Glad your back on it.  Little and often is the way to go.  And 3 months without a charge just goes to show the LC is a sorted machine.  My last 1600 would last all week.
mannylasker

Post by mannylasker »

My 2015 RT is the same. When cold often doesn't start on the first try. Let start button go, try again, always fires up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

The majority of the time my 2015 RT will start on the first try.  Every now and then it will require two tries, but never beyond that.  That's if its still warm, or sitting overnight or all week - doesn't matter.