LC Auto assist gear shift

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Steveeung

LC Auto assist gear shift

Post by Steveeung »

Got my LC (LE) back today after a software re-map to fix a charging problem and noticed the gear shift auto assist was really ropey. Was asked to put it on centre stand with back wheel off the ground and then follow the following sequence:

- Start in neutral and run for 20 seconds
- Pull in clutch and put into first gear and run for 10 seconds
- Put into second without clutch and run for 10 seconds
- Put into third without clutch and run for 10 seconds
- Put into fourth without clutch and run for 10 seconds
- Put into fifth without clutch and run for 10 seconds
- Put into sixth without clutch and run for 10 seconds
- Pull in clutch and click back down into neutral then switch off engine.

Worked first time and it was smother than it had ever been.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: LC Auto assist gear shift

Post by richardbd »

Annoying the dealer didn't check beforehand!

Which dealer?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Never heard of this in my dealership.  There is a technical campaign on some of them to update the software for the pro shift.  When its done You have to travel 15 miles using the clutch lever before the system comes back on line.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mine is booked in for the Pro Shift software update next Saturday.  As I already have a perfectly smooth system it will be interesting to see if the upgrade ruins it.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Mine is booked in for the Pro Shift software update next Saturday.  As I already have a perfectly smooth system it will be interesting to see if the upgrade ruins it.

I'm confused RTMan.  If it works perfectly now, why on earth would you let a dealer anywhere near it???

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In the hope its even more perfect when I get it back.  And its free to do.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: In the hope its even more perfect when I get it back.  And its free to do.

Good luck!!
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

richardbd wrote: Annoying the dealer didn't check beforehand!

Which dealer?

North Oxford. It was after the software uodrade they did to fix the BMW battery charger problem I've been having (BMW said a reload was the fix but they quite rightly upgraded rather than just reloaded - it didn't fix the charger problem that is now believed to affect a significant proportion of RT's AND GS's - but the upgrade does include a shift improvement programme) and I agree re it being annoying they didn't test ride it and spot the shift assist problem. However, the re synch sequence I detailed above worked perfectly as they said it would so that's all I need AND  (since the software upgrade and re synch so not sure if one or the other, or both had the effect)  it's now better than it's ever been before (and it was damn smooth before).
Last edited by Steveeung on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Mine is booked in for the Pro Shift software update next Saturday.  As I already have a perfectly smooth system it will be interesting to see if the upgrade ruins it.

RTman10 could you let us know how it goes and if it makes any difference. I've just booked my bike in to have the update but they cannot do it until 28 Aug. Cheers.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I will. It's being done tomorrow so with a bit of luck I can post the results in the evening .
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bike went in this morning just in time for the BMW computer to crash so took it home again. Going back in on 14 Aug so with a little bit of luck.......
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Bike went in this morning just in time for the BMW computer to crash so took it home again. Going back in on 14 Aug so with a little bit of luck.......

Thats annoying. Mine is smooth between 5 - 6, OK 4 - 5 but a little clunky between 3 - 4. Hope the upgrade will smooth things out. Perfect when down shifting.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must admit mine is smooth once you get into 3rd and its OK back into 3rd. Don't think it will ever be smooth into or out of second.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

After a months delay had the software update today.  Thankfully its still as smooth as silk. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: After a months delay had the software update today.  Thankfully its still as smooth as silk.

Mines going in next Saturday. Don't suppose the update solved the digital speed in mph only issue ?