Query

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Catfunt

Query

Post by Catfunt »

2013 camhead with 13k miles. On engaging/disengaging the clutch at walking speed, pulling away slowly in traffic etc, I get a very slight clunk. Feels like it could be slack in the driveline but it may be clutch related. Not really a problem more of an irritation especially if caught in traffic or queuing. A colleague with the same bike doesn't have the same issue. Does anyone on here have the same or might it be an early warning of a problem?
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
guest2360

Re: Query

Post by guest2360 »

Put your bike on its center stand, put it in first gear and you can then gauge the amount of play in the system. They all have some. Then do the same with your mates bike.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Marvelous! I'll go a fiddle now - with the bike that is! Cheers  :kacsint2:
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

For info I found reference on one of the US forums that suggests that 'about two inches' of free rotation at the rear wheel rim with the bike in first gear on the centre stand is considered normal. There should be less than .5mm lateral play - hands at 3/9 o clock and/or 6/12 o clock. Fairly simple checks to do as part of routine maintenance.