'Slipping' or grinding felt through footpegs - 2015 1200RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Arty

'Slipping' or grinding felt through footpegs - 2015 1200RT

Post by Arty »

Hi      :kacsint2:

New here - new to RT's, actually. Rode a friend's 2015 1200RT at the weekend; did a round trip of about 130 miles. (Although the bike is a new model, it has already done nearly 19,000 miles; though very few of these were by my friend - he hires bikes out.)

I usually ride a TDM900, so am not new to twins, though the RT is clearly much bigger (and a doddle to ride slowly; wow).

On the way to Bexhill along the A27 after about 30 mins riding, a rougher road surface coincided with a new feeling through both pegs. It was not unlike something slipping or grinding. It was very definite but only through the pegs; no other sensation through the rest of the bike. I was at about 4500 revs.

The above only lasted for a few seconds, but did return briefly a handful of times during the ride, usually on a rougher surface but not always. And always at about 4000 - 4500 revs, though seemed to happen in all gears 3+. There was no other pattern and I would not know how to prompt it.

On the way back later that day, the same thing happened a few times.

I am as far from being a mechanic as one can get, so will not be able to answer any tech questions which would assist with the diagnosis. All I can say is that the feeling was so clear, so crisp through both pegs that it felt as if the pegs are one solid bar through the engine, and at the centre of the bar something sits on it that was slipping. (Would the gear box be down there?)

My friend had never heard of this before, and when he went for a 20 mile ride later to test it he did not feel anything. So has put it down to me just not being used to the bike. It may be true that this is a 'quirk', but if this is so I would expect him to know about it. 

Is this new, or old news?

Can anyone shed any light on what this could be?

Thanks

Arty

:kacsint2:
stelyn

Re: 'Slipping' or grinding felt through footpegs - 2015 1200RT

Post by stelyn »

Hi Arty and welcome to the forum,  some real good `techies' here who will no doubt have some advise to offer and try to assist you.... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

19K, that's going some and I wonder how many riders.  Sound to me like its due a service as it only happens at certain revs its feeling a little off colour..
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey Arty how far over were you leaning? as that's the only time I get any grinding through the pegs.  I hope it's resolved.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Spencert231 wrote: Hey Arty how far over were you leaning? as that's the only time I get any grinding through the pegs.  I hope it's resolved.

Ha - you took the words right out of my mouth Spencer!!

:alas: :alas:
Arty

Post by Arty »

Ah, got it. I know what it was... I forgot to undo the chain on the ground anchor and was dragging a paving slab behind me.    :enjoying:

Seriously, from the 52 views already (in less than a day; wow, busy forum) and a few humorous but (so far) not-so informative replies  ^-^ , I take it this could be a new phenomenon - at least, to most owners? (It would be more than our friendship is worth to suggest to the owner that the bike needs a service, so I have to park that one - excuse the pun. But thank you.)

But it has only been a day, so I'm sure someone will know what moving parts are between the foot pegs (besides me and the motorbike).

Thanks

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Well Arty we are a little humorous at times particularly since you gave us the lead. I for one have rode several RTs before I purchased my 2014 and I never experienced anything that resembled a grinding in the foot pegs.
Arty

Post by Arty »

Ok

thank you all. It could be (assuming the gearbox is the nearest thing to the pegs) the punishment endured by the hirers has loosened the gearing and things are slipping slightly. (Could this happen through gearless changes; just a thought?)

Anyway, if I hear in a few weeks that the bottom of the bike fell off I'll let you know.  :alas:

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Still think it just needs plugging in.  Mileage says it should have been done 400 miles before you rode it assuming it had its initial service at 600 miles.
Arty

Post by Arty »

RTman10 wrote: Still think it just needs plugging in.  Mileage says it should have been done 400 miles before you rode it assuming it had its initial service at 600 miles.
Thanks

19,000 miles is a lot; and it would have been more had it not been for the recall early on. The bikes are hired out, and the owner is very particular about regular servicing and works closely with BMW (at Brighton). He loves the bikes and looks after them really well. You may be right (what do I know?), but my suggesting to him that one of his bikes needs a service would be like my granny telling Buzz Aldrin he needs to keep his helmet on.   

:silence:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its obviously not a 2015 bike.  The recall and there has been only one, was for bikes built up to 6 June 2014.  Evan so my suggestion is still valid.
Arty

Post by Arty »

RTman10 wrote: Its obviously not a 2015 bike.  The recall and there has been only one, was for bikes built up to 6 June 2014.  Evan so my suggestion is still valid.
:zombie:
wow, has it been a year already....? It only seems like a few months (ie. not 12 though). But it must have been the 2014 model as you say; he had only had it a few days when the recall happened and it was gone for a few weeks. (BMW gave him one on loan. Not sure they were impressed at the mileage when they got theirs back. In the summer months people come from all over the world, often from the USA and Oz to take a trip round Europe on an RT or GS.)

Thanks

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Arty wrote: Thanks

19,000 miles is a lot; and it would have been more had it not been for the recall early on. The bikes are hired out, and the owner is very particular about regular servicing and works closely with BMW (at Brighton). He loves the bikes and looks after them really well. You may be right (what do I know?), but my suggesting to him that one of his bikes needs a service would be like my granny telling Buzz Aldrin he needs to keep his helmet on.   

:silence:

I'm curious Arty...

Is the chap in question called Pete - and is the bike on of those brown ones that BMW claim are black (ebony)?

If it is, it may well be the very bike that persuaded me away from my Multistrada and on to the RT. 

And (again, if it is Pete) they are the best looked-after hire bikes I've ever come across - bar none!
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

It could also be that the engine is starving from petrol. I have a similar feeling in 3-4' range. I think the engine is running really leen and that can give some strange vibrations in surthan situations.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

All engines has vibrations and resonances.

They are using different methods to compensate for this like balance shaft etc., but this will not take everything away.
There will always be some in some rpm, or under some load etc.
When struggling to be petrol efficient, this could also be a big problem.

If the engine is hot, and to lean mixture - it could start to ignite before the piston has past the top by it selves - just from heat compression and this is a nasty situation.
Most engines today has knocking sensors that will feel this situation - and then give in some more fuel to compensate.
( I think this could be the problem with the defective pistons in the 1600 engine - and therefor the new firmware upgrade)

I have the feeling that the RT has some resonance in the 3-4000 rpm range - and this could be mechanic or a mix with to lean fueling.

Also how the engine is mounted in the frame is important - how the bolts fixing it into the frame are done.
Wherry important that the correct tork is used here.

To be a two cylinder boxer - I thing BMW has done a good job - and there will always be some vibrations and resonances in this kind of bikes - in surten rpm.

The feeling you have in the pegs - could be a resonances from the engine/drive shaft etc.
Last edited by STeinar on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.