R1200 Accessories

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rollmaster

R1200 Accessories

Post by Rollmaster »

Hi all,

Trading in my Wethead GS for a new RT after taking for a test ride.  What a difference.  Anyway, curious what accessories are a "must have" for the RT besides the top box which I already have ordered.  I would like to hear who feels that certain accessories are needed and why.

Thanks
guest2360

Re: R1200 Accessories

Post by guest2360 »

Go to the BMW web site, pull up 1200RT Accessories.  There's also masses of aftermarket junk but I for one steer clear.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I started with the most simple, couldn't believe that the GPS was not secured. Removed windshield and drilled a small vertical hole in GPS button release, installed a small aircraft PK screw(sheet metal screw) button cannot now be depressed to remove GPS, re installed windshield. With windshield in parked position no access to screw. Next in line was a sidestand enlarger
Followed by skene design P3 lights in the tail and Amber photon blasters up front
Set of grip puppies rounded out first day mods
First oil change will involve installing Dimple magnet drain plugs in engine pan and final drive
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Rollmaster wrote: Hi all,

Trading in my Wethead GS for a new RT after taking for a test ride.  What a difference.  Anyway, curious what accessories are a "must have" for the RT besides the top box which I already have ordered.  I would like to hear who feels that certain accessories are needed and why.

Thanks

Each to their own I guess.  The big topbox would be last on my list - I think the bike looks best just with panniers.

Only things I've added are Autocom, comfort screen and LED driving lights.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Avant front mudguard extension, Wunderlich front crash bars, Nav V, Wunderlich front engine protection plate, BMW weather protection kit to fill in the gaps around the footrests and Autocom if you haven't got the BMW audio system.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Bertie wrote: Avant front mudguard extension, Wunderlich front crash bars, Nav V, Wunderlich front engine protection plate, BMW weather protection kit to fill in the gaps around the footrests and Autocom if you haven't got the BMW audio system.

Oh yeah - I have the mudguard extender too.  Didn't go for the bars though - I prefer to foot the bill if I drop it and keep the looks of the bike.

I've been tempted by the weather kit - especially for winter commuting - but in the end decided that if I wanted a bike that looked like a T-Max, I'd have bought a T-Max!

;) ;) ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think it looks more like a Silverwing but it keeps my boots clean.  I also fitted a fender extender.
Budman

Post by Budman »

VStream Windshield, Ilium Bar Backs, Ilium Fat  Foot, Suburban Machinery Front Peg Lowering Kit, Pig Tail Direct to the battery for the charger, Wolfman Ranier Tank Bag, Motoart cylinder head protectors.

I have a BMW top case and Wunderlich rack for the top that I had on the 2012 that was transferred to the 2014.     
Crater

Post by Crater »

I've added some protective/cosmetic stuff. I scratch tanks on all my bikes so I got knee pads. I got film for the top of the panniers because I seem to scuff the paint there when putting my boot over however hard I try not to.
I got the fender extender (clamps on, five minute job to fix). I don't know if it is needed on the RT but I had an R1200S and the front engine case was knackered after two years and needed repainting.
On nearly all my previous bikes I altered either screens, seats or bars to get more comfortable. The RT seems to be right first time around. It is a masterpiece.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

My Tiger XC had more aftermarket bits than OEM. I  keep looking at my bike trying hard to find something to spend on it. I have so far got tank pads to stop anymore scuffing of the tank, they work; bought Nav V expensive but very good, it works; fender extender, it works; front and back safety bars, don't know if they work. Bought my Air Force Master Blaster for blowing static water in the wells and crevasses off the bike; it works. My TPM on the bike is always .2bar off what my pump and tyre gauge read. Pumped up today 2.5 and 2.9 on both gauges rode a short distance to activate TPM 2.3 and 2.7 frigging frustrating.

My next buy is the extra large foot for side stand as the tar out here is melting at 41c and don't fancy finding the bike on its side >:(
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencer Wunderlich made a good one.
Attachments
IMG_0358.jpg
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Levisp wrote: Spencer Wunderlich made a good one.
Thanks Levisp looks good or at least better than Ilium product.
sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

My 2015 was loaded so the only items have been a gel pad on the seat ,a Utopia drivers backrest, soft luggage for all three cases from Cee Bailey ,blind spot mirrors from White Horse, and Moto Skivvies for my back side.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

Thank you all for your feedback on the accessories.  Coming from the GS world I had sump plate, radiator guards, and valve cover protection.  Are these areas of the bike less of a concern due to more inherent protection with the RT?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Rollmaster wrote: Thank you all for your feedback on the accessories.  Coming from the GS world I had sump plate, radiator guards, and valve cover protection.  Are these areas of the bike less of a concern due to more inherent protection with the RT?

I had the same and more on my Tiger XC but now I am a bit more selective of my routes and speed on minor green lanes. However, there are a few on here who have fitted bash plates who have also written about them.