Pre or Post '14 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wayneosdias

Pre or Post '14 RT?

Post by wayneosdias »

I currently own a 07 R12R. I'm fortunate enough that I can ride for work and live/work in an amazing area for riding. I love my 07 12R, but the jaunt from Santa Cruz to Monterey is much too blustery for an R. I Attempted to "Tourerize" my roadster w hand guards and aftermarket partial fairing, and while it has helped some, I need more protection. So I'm in the market for an RT. I love my R and have put considerable money into it. My thinking was keep the R and and get a '05-10 RT. Then I realized that Ive owned multiple bikes simultaneously in the past and one bike turns into a costly space waster that never gets ridden and continually depreciates. Ive heard great things about the new LC motor so I thought Ill dump the R and go all out on the new RT. Before heading down to the dealer I did the preapproval, crunched the numbers and though the out the door $ seemed a bit excessive, its gonna be totally worth it.

I get to the dealer and see the bike. At a distance I really dig the styling of the bike relative to the older model. I get on expecting the new motor to sing and blow away my '07, but as Im pulling away I feel the same old boxxer "wheez" as I start to get on the throttle. Its almost like its gasping for air past 4-5k rpm. I ride around for a good 40min hitting the highway and such and am very pleased w the wind protection, my critical characteristic. I get back to the dealer and a little bummed about the motor.

I ask if I can ride the RS, but no demo. He suggests I take out the new R. I hesitate as Im not looking for another roadster, but say what the heck. Totally different motor response and feel. I nearly blew myself off the bike when I opened WOT around 2k in 2nd gear. The motor was awesome, way better than the hex head. I tool around a bit and think I must of had the RT in some retarded/safety mode or something. I take the RT out again same route and no matter what setting, the motor felt flat, no better than my '07.

Other things I noticed about the RT:
Rattling, it sounded as if there was an empty coke can in one of the bags over bumpy roads.

Plastics, they felt flimsy and cheap.

Bags, the bags felt flimsy and deformed very easily when opening and closing, I use the bags a lot on my R.

Im really confused. I really wanted the new RT, but I dont know now. Any riders of the older RT comment on the new RT?
Spencert231

Re: Pre or Post '14 RT?

Post by Spencert231 »

Well waynoesdias sorry to hear you was not impressed, which I find hard to believe on a good RT. Did you leave your comments with the dealer as the bike may be over due for a service or maybe developed an ailment as we all do.

With regards to earlier models I can only comment on K52, give it another go.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

What power mode was the bike in ?

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi wayneosidias and welcome to the Forum,  +1  on what settings was that Bike in /seat height ect...... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

Spencert231 wrote: Well waynoesdias sorry to hear you was not impressed, which I find hard to believe on a good RT. Did you leave your comments with the dealer as the bike may be over due for a service or maybe developed an ailment as we all do.

With regards to earlier models I can only comment on K52, give it another go.
No I didnt get into it about the motor w the dealer. They were pretty busy and I got the impression that I took the bike out a bit too long. After I rode the R I kinda slipped off again on the RT as sales people were tied up and the key was still in the cubby. Upon my return they were waiting w a potential buyer not looking happy.

Maybe I didnt actually "set" the mode. I scrolled through the menu using the wheel then pressed the diamond/menu button which I thought set the mode. Is this correct?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

In a nutshell No. The diamond / menu button is to select a favourite menu option which is user selectable. To select a menu item that is highlighted ( boxed ) you use the wheel. Sounds to me a poor dealership that allows a test ride without going through the controls. Maybe a revisit is required.
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

Levisp wrote: In a nutshell No. The diamond / menu button is to select a favourite menu option which is user selectable. To select a menu item that is highlighted ( boxed ) you use the wheel. Sounds to me a poor dealership that allows a test ride without going through the controls. Maybe a revisit is required.
Ah well I def did not do that, I toggled to the diamond. Makes sense as it would exit out of the ride modes. I thought it was setting the mode. Agreed dealer didnt do a full preride intro, but in their defense very busy.

So other than rotating the wheel to the desired mode, you...?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

You push the multi controller wheel to the right.
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

Levisp wrote: You push the multi controller wheel to the right.
great thanks, gonna go re-demo
Budman

Post by Budman »

I prefer to ride mine in Dynamic / Normal. When Im in the mountains I use the Hard. On the interstate for long periods I use Soft.

I keep it in Dynamic all the time. It seems to shift better for me.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Yeah don't forget the mode setting on the right hand cluster on right handle bar? Wow! Does that read right gimme the whiskey bottle  :whistle:
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Forgot to mention if you go to the downloads section you can download the User Manual for 2014 bike. Same as 2015 model. Worth a read regards controls and riding modes. Lets us know how you get on.
Manofleisur

Post by Manofleisur »

Wow so glad I found a very low mileage 07 reg RT. I just get on and ride either one up or two of us, all without having to worry what mode I am in. Seems to me bikes are getting more and more complicated, or am I just old fashioned ?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Manofleisur wrote: Seems to me bikes are getting more and more complicated, or am I just old fashioned ?

probably a bit of both!

;)
Manofleisur

Post by Manofleisur »

Old fashioned then !! In answer to the title to this thread my vote would be pre 14 then  :)