New to forum, about to purchase R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
NSBJohn

New to forum, about to purchase R1200RT

Post by NSBJohn »

Hello Gents, I'm from central Fla and I currently ride a Triumph Scrambler. I am about to move up to a touring bike, and the 2015 R1200RT has made it to the final two. I have test rode the bike with my wife, and I am concerned about the seat comfort for longer rides. I have a 29 inseam, so I feel short on the bike, and it felt like I was getting squashed up against the tank. My test ride was short; below 10 miles. Does anyone have any comments/advice on seat comfort issues for longer rides/shorter riders? I have seen the aftermarket Corbin seat, which could be a solution if it doesn't raise me up too much. I am just looking for feedback before I pull the trigger. I am within a week of making the purchase. Thanks for any advice you may have. John
SheepDog

Re: New to forum, about to purchase R1200RT

Post by SheepDog »

They sell a short seat for those of us that are vertically challenged. Best investment I made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

My first long ride on my LC was close to 200 miles stopped for fuel rode to port ferry crossing to France few hours back on the bike and did 370miles with 2 x fuel stops with coffee and a coffee stop no fuel needed. I have done the same run on 2 different bikes both of which were comfortable, but nowhere near as comfortable as the LC. Yeah bum starting feeling it towards the end nothing to write home about.

With regards the seat height there is a special that BMW does at no extra cost, but I would advise you to test it first as you maybe too low on the bike. Best of luck, you will not be sorry.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I have a 2015 R1200 RT and also 29 inside leg I have the standard seat set on its highest setting.  I have done 2500 miles in 6 days including 650 miles with just one fuel stop  comfort is second to none and I averaged 61 MPG on that trip. Only other modification is wunderlich lowered footless to give a more relaxed knee bend. I would 100% recommend bike. Fast Frugal Comfortable
R1250RT LE
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

650 miles! and only one fuel stop wow! Good on you and I thought my 56mpg was excellent :)
NSBJohn

Post by NSBJohn »

Thank you all for the replies. I am almost decided. I think I am going to test ride one more time to be sure. Thanks again, I appreciate all the helpful info on this forum.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Also have a 29" inside leg so bought the bike with the low seat which is a no cost option.  Then again Daverj gets on with the standard seat but I had a job getting on let alone riding it with the standard one.  Suggest you try them both, it only takes e minutes to swap them.  Max mileage I have done in a day is 420 with just fuel stops with no real discomfort. 
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Worry ye not about comfort.  It is a bike built to do big miles and 99% of us find it just fine as it left the factory.  If you have any niggles after you have done some reasonable miles on it then look at making changes. 
sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

I just purchased a 2015 RT and find the bike fairly comfortable for 300 miles plus and then I'm pretty sore. I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall and I've got a gel seat on top of the stock seat which is set at its highest position. I also bought a pair of moto skivvies with padding to help extend the hours of riding time. This has helped with sitting on the saddle but my back starts hurting riding longer distances. So I'm just about to purchase a backrest from utopia to help alleviate that problem and then I think I will have a perfect motorcycle.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

sgtgarnier wrote: I just purchased a 2015 RT and find the bike fairly comfortable for 300 miles plus and then I'm pretty sore. I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall and I've got a gel seat on top of the stock seat which is set at its highest position. I also bought a pair of moto skivvies with padding to help extend the hours of riding time. This has helped with sitting on the saddle but my back starts hurting riding longer distances. So I'm just about to purchase a backrest from utopia to help alleviate that problem and then I think I will have a perfect motorcycle.

Not sure I could bring myself to put a back rest on a bike.  Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...
;)
Last edited by richardbd on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I can just about get my leg over the pannier and pillion seat without adding a back rest "cor blimey gov" I would need to go to the Royal School of Ballet for some stretching  :))
srpuywa

Post by srpuywa »

I recently finished a Four Corners Ride on my 15 RT  - did 8300 miles in 14 days.  Had to make some mods to make it fit me at 6-4.  Custom seat and lowered foot pegs.  Longest day was Reno to San Diego  740 miles no problem
sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

I don't think having a backrest on the motorcycle detracts from the appearance of the motorcycle. The backrest folds down so that the pillion can get over the backrest onto the back seat without any issues.

sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

I live near the Four Corners area in New Mexico. Have you done the Devil's Highway which borders New Mexico and Arizona yet? if you haven't done it you should, if you've heard of the dragon's tail the Devil's Highway is the dragon's tail squared. 100 miles of pristine twisty roads surrounded by total wilderness.

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Sounds a bit like the county of Powys in Mid Wales less, bears, wolves, puma, and all the other things that can eat you. Having said that we have had some renegade sheep that wander them there hills  :))