Deciding to go from Harley to R1200RT---What would you do?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
adennism

Deciding to go from Harley to R1200RT---What would you do?

Post by adennism »

I have been riding Harley Davidson motorcycles for the last 20 years.  I current own a 2014 Street Glide Special and have very much enjoyed it.  I have always been intrigued with BMW motorcycles and have wanted to own one but until recently, I have avoided the issue.  Then came the 2015 R1200RT.  I love this bike.  The decision that I have to make is do I want to make the change? ::)  It is kind of a life style change but I think I am ready for it.  I guess what I need is some testimonials from those of you who have make the change and have not regretted it.  Can you help me?    Signed:  undecided
Coacha
Bumpkin

Re: Deciding to go from Harley to R1200RT---What would you do?

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi adennism,

I traded my Thunderbird Storm in for an RT last month.  Loved the look and sound of the cruiser, and the easy comfort of a pootle.

My reality is that when I use the bike I tend to go to another country, or a corner of England from west Berkshire and so a long journey using motorways just never floated my boat on the Storm, also, with mine, the weather protection is nil.

What made me try the change was that in this country we have corners, and even though the rear tyre on the Storn was the roundest I could find on a cruiser, the cornering is useless, so I popped on my thinking cap. 

I'd tried the GTR, but too heavy and the weight too high for the fast B roads around me, thought about the Triumph Trophy, but seemed a uniform feeling that the RT LC was the best, so gave it a go.

I had been waiting for the RS to come out, but when I tried the RT it felt half the weight of the storm, acceleration, braking, cornering, luggage, weather protection, passenger comfort, gadgetry, and because it should be mentioned twice, suspension and cornering were all much better.

I did love the Storm, but with the RT I felt I was getting back into biking again.  1,000 miles in and no regrets yet, so I'd definitely suggest a test ride so you can try out bending your knees again
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Sorry Adennism, but I have never owned a HD or indeed any cruiser, but did go through a stage when I couldn't decide which direction my motorcycling was go in. Even thought of the cruiser route and road most of them. I ended up going down the adventure bike route and thoroughly enjoyed the chapter in my life. But, to try and compare a cruiser with an adventure bike does not compute. The same would apply with the adventure bike and the RTLC they are 'chalk & cheese' simply no comparison the whole experience is different.

So, if you want to get somewhere in comfort, if you want to be protected against the elements, if you decide you want fast and twisty and you want to carry someone in comfort with luggage, well it's a no brainer get an RTLC. That of course is my humble opinion.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

adennism wrote: I have been riding Harley Davidson motorcycles for the last 20 years.  I current own a 2014 Street Glide Special and have very much enjoyed it.  I have always been intrigued with BMW motorcycles and have wanted to own one but until recently, I have avoided the issue.  Then came the 2015 R1200RT.  I love this bike.  The decision that I have to make is do I want to make the change? ::)  It is kind of a life style change but I think I am ready for it.  I guess what I need is some testimonials from those of you who have make the change and have not regretted it.  Can you help me?    Signed:  undecided

Yes it is a lifestyle change, apples and oranges to be exact
BMW riders tend to be better dressed for the accident they never want
I my opinion they also show more responsibility when riding, that's just me
I'll add that I tour with several Harley riders, we do have a tendency to make a little fun of each other's gear, never in front of a outsider though
Jim
kapenagary

Post by kapenagary »

I've had 4 Harleys, the last being a 2002 Road Glide.  It had over 70,000 miles when I sold it.  I rode from California to Virginia twice on the bike and only had to replace a speed sensor.  Harley makes great bikes. HOWEVER -- I now own 3 BMW's - a 2007 R1200RT, a 2010 F800GS and a 2013 F800GSA.

You are correct.  It is a lifestyle change.  But it just shows you're growing up. ;D  I still ride with a couple of my Harley buddies. But I'm usually on my RT.  It is a great bike for doing what I used to do on my Road Glide. 

Make the change.  You won't regret it.
trichef1

Post by trichef1 »

So I made the switch from a Customized Fat Boy to a R1200 RT about a year ago after many months of thinking, dreaming and stalking BMW forums. I was kinda of done with the whole " pirate thing"the HOG rallies, etc. I live in NC in the mountains so the Beemer suited the roads here better and I don't miss the HD for a minute.  Don't get me wrong the HD was  a beautiful thing to look at and sounded awesome but the Beemer is in a whole different class of bike.  Handles like a dream, great electronics, and more power that I'll ever need. It's arguably the best all around bike ever built.
I'm happy with my decision and can't imagine ever not having a Beemer in my garage

sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

adennism wrote: I have been riding Harley Davidson motorcycles for the last 20 years.  I current own a 2014 Street Glide Special and have very much enjoyed it.  I have always been intrigued with BMW motorcycles and have wanted to own one but until recently, I have avoided the issue.  Then came the 2015 R1200RT.  I love this bike.  The decision that I have to make is do I want to make the change? ::)  It is kind of a life style change but I think I am ready for it.  I guess what I need is some testimonials from those of you who have make the change and have not regretted it.  Can you help me?    Signed:  undecided
A tough choice. I like the new Harleys and almost purchased the 2015 Glide. In the end what I needed won out. My choice was based on the following criteria. A machine that is built for two up riding, 200 mile day rides,handles more like a sport bike than a cruiser, has traction control and ABS, GPS, satellite radio,active suspension so I don't need to manually set it, suspension that doesn't nose dive at a stop, hard luggage, great gas mileage, horsepower, good protection so I don't get wet, and cutting-edge technology. Ahem.....that would be the RT. Harley just discovered ABS, not to mention 73 hp on a 1000 lb. machine. Harley is a nice looking classic cruiser, good for road trips and adding bling, but the lifestyle that promotes not wearing helmets and leather vests as protection against a fall is something that's counterintuitive to me. At least Harley drivers wear dew rags so in the event of a head injury they already have a bandage on their heads.
kapenagary wrote: I've had 4 Harleys, the last being a 2002 Road Glide.  It had over 70,000 miles when I sold it.  I rode from California to Virginia twice on the bike and only had to replace a speed sensor.  Harley makes great bikes. HOWEVER -- I now own 3 BMW's - a 2007 R1200RT, a 2010 F800GS and a 2013 F800GSA.

You are correct.  It is a lifestyle change.  But it just shows you're growing up. ;D  I still ride with a couple of my Harley buddies. But I'm usually on my RT.  It is a great bike for doing what I used to do on my Road Glide. 

Make the change.  You won't regret it.
trichef1 wrote: So I made the switch from a Customized Fat Boy to a R1200 RT about a year ago after many months of thinking, dreaming and stalking BMW forums. I was kinda of done with the whole " pirate thing"the HOG rallies, etc. I live in NC in the mountains so the Beemer suited the roads here better and I don't miss the HD for a minute.  Don't get me wrong the HD was  a beautiful thing to look at and sounded awesome but the Beemer is in a whole different class of bike.  Handles like a dream, great electronics, and more power that I'll ever need. It's arguably the best all around bike ever built.
I'm happy with my decision and can't imagine ever not having a Beemer in my garage

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Take the leap.  You will never look back

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

birdman1960

Post by birdman1960 »

For me, it all comes down to what you want.  (I'm against critiquing riders over the brand of bike they ride.).  I've owned all the major Japanese brands, Harleys and now BMWs beginning about four years ago.  I like them all!

As for Harley-Davidson, they are all about preserving classic American style and creating amazing eye candy and bling.  BMWs are about superb performance and handling and leading edge technology. 

It all just comes down to what you want at any particular stage in your riding life. 
adennism

Post by adennism »

Thank you very much for the advice.  I think I will pull the trigger on the deal this weekend.  I look forward to many miles on my new R1200RT and selling my "pirate" clothes.  Anyone interested in some slightly used dewrags?
Coacha