Seat Options

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rollmaster

Seat Options

Post by Rollmaster »

Just picked up my new 2015 RT last week, and rode 420 miles on Sunday.  It seemed after a 100 miles I was squirming in my seat.  I am coming from a 14 GS, and purchased a Sargent seat and was a nice improvement, but thought the RT stock seat would be better.  I'm also finding myself sliding forward in the low seat position.  I really don't want to raise the seat hence one of the reasons why I switched to the RT to have more confidence with both feet planted on the ground.

Anybody have any road experience with seat alternatives for the RT that will maintain the low seat position to keep my feet planted flat on the ground, and not causing you to slide forward in your seat?  I have a 29" inseam.

Thanks
helyun

Re: Seat Options

Post by helyun »

your answer from me is a double blade sword....I too have a 29" inseam and just switched to the lower seat...(more $$)...Yes I get my feet closer to the ground and off my tip toes with more confidence...BUT I think the seat is not as comfortable as the stock seat....You wont be sliding forward because it has a dip in it that keeps you planted....I rode 125 miles w no issue, but Im not sure how my cheeks will fair after 400+ miles in a day....We will see.....my 2 cents.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To own the bike for less than a week and then do 420 miles in a day suggests its not too bad a perch.  Think how comfortable it will be after a couple of weeks.  I'm also short in the leg and have the low (free option) seat.  Most I have done in a day is 480 without any bother.  It does get more comfortable given a little time and you don't slide about in it. You also feel more in the bike than on it.     
trichef1

Post by trichef1 »

I'm 5'6" and just put the Sargent low seat on my bike a few hundred miles ago. No regrets so far. A big imrrovment over the stock low seat. I don't feel like I'm sliding forward and still comfortable after a few hours in the saddle.  I'll go out for a longer ride this weekend but I'm sure it will be a big improvement over stock. It may be an inch or so higher .. But I have no problem with that.
Mark05RT

Post by Mark05RT »

As a life long two wheeler, including cycling too, I really do believe that a perfectly good OEM seat can be a good all day seat, provided you wear the right clothing next to your skin.

You have two basic problems. Seams and body moisture. I find the answer is a pair of lightweight cycling undershorts. They are highly breathable and have the seat padding. Eliminates seams and helps with moisture, far better than our normal choice of underwear!
BMW R1200RT SE 2010
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I agree with Mark05RT padded shorts/pants. I don't have the padded pants mentioned but I have occasionally wore summer cycling shorts for long runs particularly the ones over 6hrs and they work a treat. However, if I could afford a Sargeant seat I would have one without question.
sgtgarnier

Post by sgtgarnier »

Good padded motorcycle riding shorts are Motoskivies. I bought one and it's an improvement. A gel seat or Airhawk will extend your riding to a whole day without suffering.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

sgtgarnier wrote: Good padded motorcycle riding shorts are Motoskivies. I bought one and it's an improvement. A gel seat or Airhawk will extend your riding to a whole day without suffering.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk
I would love to know how they came up with the name Motosckivies lol in the army we call our underpants skivvies. I looked at the price and will stay with my riding shorts at least they have another purpose.
birdman1960

Post by birdman1960 »

Like Rollmaster, I just bought a 2015 RT and I have a 29" inseam.  I'm using the stock low seat and the height works for me.  I've ridden the bike three times and put about 600 miles on it.  The seat does cause some hot spots after half an hour or so and I feel like I'm siding forward sometimes. 

I'm wondering if a custom seat like a BMS can be made without increasing the height?  And would I be able to keep the seat heater? 

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. 
Last edited by birdman1960 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I've decided to bite the bullet and get a RDL seat this off-season.  With a barely 30" inseam, it will be tough, but I'm going to give it a try.  The one on their site isn't as hideous as I expected.  About 300 miles or so is all I can do on stock seat, and I'd like the seat not to be the limiting factor on rides.

I'll probably ask them to thin the width a bit towards the tank to help with stops.

https://www.day-long.com/wp-content/gal ... tacked.jpg
Last edited by mercator1 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ppalac

Post by ppalac »

Traded into a 2015 RT mid May this year and recently clocked 12k miles.  I'm 5' 8" w/ a 30" inseam and felt -OK- with the standard height seat.

After the first 3k or so miles, I decided to go with the standard height Sargent.  I had a Sargent seat previously on a 2004 K1200RS and was happy with the quality and performance after some long distance rides so thought it would be OK to go that route with the new RT.

I believe the Sargent offered a good value seat compared to the alternatives (e.g., it fit my budget).  My seats (rider/pillion) also included the heating elements that work with the stock plugs.

For long rides, I also wear LD Comfort (http://ldcomfort.com) base layers.  I think it makes a difference when you're doing a day long ride.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

ppalac wrote: Traded into a 2015 RT mid May this year and recently clocked 12k miles. I'm 5' 8" w/ a 30" inseam and felt -OK- with the standard height seat.
After the first 3k or so miles, I decided to go with the standard height Sargent. I had a Sargent seat previously on a 2004 K1200RS and was happy with the quality and performance after some long distance rides so thought it would be OK to go that route with the new RT.
I believe the Sargent offered a good value seat compared to the alternatives (e.g., it fit my budget). My seats (rider/pillion) also included the heating elements that work with the stock plugs.
For long rides, I also wear LD Comfort (http://ldcomfort.com) base layers. I think it makes a difference when you're doing a day long ride.
I'm an inch taller, but same inseam and likely heavier. I"m a little worried about the firmness of the Sargent. I had a Corbin once, and I couldn't sell it fast enough. I know the Sargent isn't that hard, but do you know if it's in that ballpark? I can actually get the RDL for cheaper than the Sargent, if they can keep the height down to a reasonable limit. The RTW seat on the RDL site looks workable.
Last edited by mercator1 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave y

Post by dave y »

I got a Beadrider as a gift and was skeptical of performance until I tried it.  Looks like, well.....  like a macrame class project.
But I like it.
And can easily switch between bikes.
So far it has held up very well and although I haven't neeeded it, understand that they're customer service is top notch.

YMMV

Have also tried a gel pad which I found not to make much of a difference other than making the seat taller.  Relegated to my passenger who likes it much more than I did.

Dave
ppalac

Post by ppalac »

mercator1 wrote: I'm an inch taller, but same inseam and likely heavier. I"m a little worried about the firmness of the Sargent. I had a Corbin once, and I couldn't sell it fast enough. I know the Sargent isn't that hard, but do you know if it's in that ballpark? I can actually get the RDL for cheaper than the Sargent, if they can keep the height down to a reasonable limit. The RTW seat on the RDL site looks workable.

I didn't find the Sargent to be so hard.  I was told by other riders (at least 2) that the seat has a break-in period.  I suppose I can accept that as it has a bit of cushion but retains some of it's firmness?!?

I'd say it's a tough exercise for anyone as it's such a subjective experience.  Generally speaking I was OK with the stock seat but starting thinking I was getting uncomfortable for >500 mile rides.  I've done several 1k mile day rides on the RTW and have felt fine on the new Sargent.

I know another rider who swears by his bead rider seat.  I suspect it works great for folks but I don't really care for how it looks on the bike.  Guess I'm kind of picky.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

ppalac wrote:
I didn't find the Sargent to be so hard.  I was told by other riders (at least 2) that the seat has a break-in period.  I suppose I can accept that as it has a bit of cushion but retains some of it's firmness?!?

I'd say it's a tough exercise for anyone as it's such a subjective experience.  Generally speaking I was OK with the stock seat but starting thinking I was getting uncomfortable for >500 mile rides.  I've done several 1k mile day rides on the RTW and have felt fine on the new Sargent.

I know another rider who swears by his bead rider seat.  I suspect it works great for folks but I don't really care for how it looks on the bike.  Guess I'm kind of picky.

My brother had both the beads and a natural sheepskin on his Goldwing, and it looked like a cross between a pimpmobile and a NY cab.