YET MORE RUMOURS ABOUT FRENCH BIKE LAWS.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
stelyn

Re: YET MORE RUMOURS ABOUT FRENCH BIKE LAWS.

Post by stelyn »

Of course good ole `Henry V' is to blame for all this - at Agincourt (1415 ) it's French `pay back'..... :be happy:
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just found you can get (legal) French stickers in EBay for £3.  Available in black making them invisible on my black helmet.  Perfect. Case closed.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I'm with you STeinar. Fortunately we toured all of France in the 90s. Then France seemed to get very expensive and all the ridiculous laws came along. One problem is the Fench don't have a bike industry or indeed have ever had, so in general they have little interest in motorcycling. Go to Germany for example and even the non biking public will welcome you and admire your bike, hotels will find somewhere for you to park securely.
Have you ever noticed how many speed traps there are around the French ports targeting tourists.
The one thing that I don't understand is that I thought that within th EU that all motoring laws were supposed to be similar between countries.
I can remember being in the south of France and seeing Police motorcyclists riding in short sleeved shirts and no gloves!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Just found you can get (legal) French stickers in EBay for £3.  Available in black making them invisible on my black helmet.  Perfect. Case closed.

Can I have white ones please ! :)
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/arai1a.htm
I have some white checkers decals on my white helmet,  can hardly see them during the day.
Not cheap but when I was looking for some they were the only ones I could find
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Blame the asylum seekers

Ive never had any problems with the French to be fair maybe one restaurant owner who weren't pro English. He was just ignorant but your going to come across them anywhere. (probably even in Wales)

I like the Germans and Austrians, Ive been stopped by German Police for speeding ( I bribed them with a Police tie badge) I always carry a few for them sort of occasions, they let me off.  I know coppers like shiny things they can pin onto their ties or shirts :)) :))

I had a RTA in Germany and they were brilliant  funnily enough the one who was translating was American.

I must admit though I haven't come across many Germans who like the French
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Totally agree, I also like the Germans and Austrians, in fact Angela Merkel recently arrived at Passport Control at the Paris airport.

"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer, courteously.

"German," she replied politely.

"Occupation?

"No, just here for a few days."          See now that's being `polite'............. :be happy:
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: Just found you can get (legal) French stickers in EBay for £3.  Available in black making them invisible on my black helmet.  Perfect. Case closed.
You are a one RTman10 that would ensure that any design is not spoilt and only reflects when an headlight or street light is directed at it, or at least I think that's what it's supposed to do. If you check Shark helmets they make an allowance that the sticker doesn't impair the aesthetic's of the helmet.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Then there's the BMW System 6 Eva.  If I understand the rules you need 4 with one facing forward. That's going to be a challenge with a socking great vent smack in the middle going down all the way to the visor. Maybe the rules are something to do with the French nit being particularly keen on the Germans.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

RT Man 10  Stick it yer forehead :be happy:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

step2534 wrote: RT Man 10 Stick it yer forehead :be happy:

That's it, I knew there was a simple sulution.
Crater

Post by Crater »

Their drink-driving enforcement seems to have gone up several notches in recent years too. Every year in the last three years one of our group was randomly stopped and breathalyzed. Once on a Saturday evening near Figeac and once along a quiet country lane on a sleepy Sunday afternoon in Provence. You can't complain though, they were stopping everyone, including an old French boy on his beat-up ancient tractor.
And Spencer, who are those French police who tuck their pants into their boots like paratroopers? They always spook me. Difficult to be comfortable with a man who has a submachine gun slung around his neck.

Crater

Post by Crater »

Two more questions.
Is filtering illegal in France?
If headlights are compulsory can you use daytime running lights instead?

busarock

Post by busarock »

Levisp wrote: What a load of cobblers. So High Viz stickers on my white crash hat is going to make me safer. Sorry mate didn't see your rather large and obvious RT with its DRLs or your bright white crash helmet but those stickers smacked me in the gob, woke me from my daze and alerted me to your presence. If it was winter, cold wet and grey I might have been wearing my High Viz Revit over jacket, in which case I see a few helmet stickers as rather irrelevant.

Sorry but just wanted to add that helmet stickers are not for visibility on bike but they are for if you come off your bike at night and are lying on road it is to let other road users spot you better.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Surely lying on the road and your helmet reflecting on coming or passing light is about visibility as is your helmet reflecting light should your rear light fail it's all about reflecting light.