Accessory Sockets

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Maz12

Accessory Sockets

Post by Maz12 »

today I tried to put some more pressure in the tyres using a mini tyre inflator but it wouldn't work..
So either it's broke since I last used it or the socket doesn't supply enough power?
It's the same pump I used on my previous 2012RT with no problem,  so does the water cooled RT supply less power to the sockets than the previous RT did
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Re: Accessory Sockets

Post by 7vwh »

I've noticed on mine that sometimes accessories won't work until I rotate the plug in the socket a little and regain electrical contact, if this helps!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Maz12 wrote:It's the same pump I used on my previous 2012RT with no problem, so does the water cooled RT supply less power to the sockets than the previous RT did
The Electrical rating of the on-board sockets is a max. of 10A, same on both bikes.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Same on both bikes!  I will try turning the plug in the socket then.
Ta for your help
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Strange,  I rotated the plug in the socket and the pump started working BUT when I connected the hose onto the tyre valve (ie the pump was 'doing work') the power would cut to the socket
Had to connect Direct to battery to be able to pump up the tyres
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Maz12 wrote: Strange,  I rotated the plug in the socket and the pump started working BUT when I connected the hose onto the tyre valve (ie the pump was 'doing work') the power would cut to the socket
Had to connect Direct to battery to be able to pump up the tyres

What compressor are you using ? What is its load ? I use a Slime Compressor and have a lead connected directly to the battery because it draws 15 amps. Aux sockets max is 10 amps.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

It's the Airman pump,  and it worked on my 2012RT with no issues.
Before anyone asks,  yes the engine was running.  :)

Pump[size=18px]Always maintain proper air pressure, no matter where you are, with the AirMan Electric Air Pump. This pump features a plug that will fit in any BMW accessory socket and is easily convertible to also fit a standard cigarette lighter size power socket. The pump has a built-in pressure gauge and on/off swit.ch. There is also a convenient storage compartment for storage of the included inflation adapters but there's enough room to also store tyre plugs or patches. The pump has about 2.5 metres of power cord and everything fits conveniently inside of this light and compact unit. This is a completely redesigned and improved pump. The hose fitting has brass threads and seal tightly on the valve stem. The gauge is accurate and easy to read. The pump is reliable and easily capable of fully inflating tires to operating pressure. The pump will fill most bicycle tyres in under one minute and most car tyres in about seven minutes. Filling a motorcycle tyre will lie somewhere in-between. PLEASE NOTE: If your bike has a can-bus electrical system (most 2005 model and later BMWs) the inherent design of your bike's accessory outlet, may not power this pump when the engine is not running. The cure for this is to install a second accessory outlet that's wired directly to your battery. Search for BAS-SD14.TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONSAirflow: 13.0 - 16.0 L/minMaximum pressure: 140 psiNet weight: 0.49 kgDimensions: 12.0 x 6.0 x 14.2 cm (2-3/8" x 4-3/4" x 5-5/8") PERFORMANCE*Inflates a basketball in a minute Inflates most medium sized bicycle tires in less than a minute.Inflates a 13" car tire in under 7 minutes *Inflation time may vary depending on the actual size of the item, type of adapter, valve, and operating conditions[/size]