Nav V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Nav V

Post by Steve F »

Not wanting to go over old ground regarding this Sat Nav, but what actually are the benefits of a Nav V when using it in conjunction with the RT LC handlebar wheel? I've been trying out a dealer demo Nav V unit, and all I could 'dial' up with the wheel was 'page' option (which shows either map or a data page with compass) and zoom in & out functions. Is there anything else that can be done by using the wheel when it comes to this Sat Nav?
Needless to say, Nav V price is an issue, and I appreciate that screen resolution is better than a Garmin unit. Is there still no direct equivalent to the Nav V?
By the way, I don't have the Audio option on my RT LC. Any feedback/comments gratefully received.
Thanks. Steve.
Last edited by Steve F on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav V

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:Is there still no direct equivalent to the Nav V?
My understanding is, "BMW contracted with Garmin to produce a BMW exclusive device".

The BMW Navigator V Review, http://globeriders.com/article_pages/ar ... nav5.shtml.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

The Nav V looks very similar in spec to the Garmin 590, same screen size (although case size is larger on the 590) curvy road option etc, the one thing that puts me off the Nav V is the price and that as far as I know I can't listen to music with V and bluetooth on my helmet :-(

Get my bike tomorrow  ;D
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Thanks for the input thus far. So, can any RT LC owners with the handlebar scroll wheel (or whatever it's called) enlighten me as to exactly what it can do, ie specific sat nav related functions ?? A smany of you have rightly said, it is darn expensive for what it is, and the only obvious visual advantage is the better TFT screen when comparing it to the Nav IV or Garmin equivalents. Being grabbed by the proverbials by BMW comes to mind me thinks...!!?? :wonder:
SwartGevaar

Post by SwartGevaar »

If you run your music off an SD card in the NAV V BT'ed to your helmet you can perform rudimentary track control from the wheel (next track/back 1 track/etc.).

I think this only works if you don't have the audio option.

Why on earth the RT doesn't have the full NAV V functionality available on the GS is a point which continues to irk me.  >:( [size=78%] [/size]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have a V and my bike has no audio unit.  I have music loaded on a micro SD card and get it through an Autocom dongle.  The wheel will only pull up individual pages on its GPS setting and on the media player will allow you to page forward/back pause and play.  You can also adjust the volume but on another page.  All these functions are done on the touch screen when you have selected it using the wheel.  If you have an audio unit you cannot use the GPS for music.  There is definitely no unit in the Garmin range that is compatible with the V.  Warranty on a V is also twice that of a Garmin. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: I have a V and my bike has no audio unit.  I have music loaded on a micro SD card and get it through an Autocom dongle.  The wheel will only pull up individual pages on its GPS setting and on the media player will allow you to page forward/back pause and play.  You can also adjust the volume but on another page.  All these functions are done on the touch screen when you have selected it using the wheel.  If you have an audio unit you cannot use the GPS for music.  There is definitely no unit in the Garmin range that is compatible with the V.  Warranty on a V is also twice that of a Garmin.
I was going ask for people to post what their setup was to clear this issue of music or no music via BT and you've made it perfectly clear that this must only affect those with the audio package installed. On that basis I'm happy to get the V  :)
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: Warranty on a V is also twice that of a Garmin.
.....that being 24 mths .v. 12 mths then....??
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: .....that being 24 mths .v. 12 mths then....??
Correct, it's 2years on the V. Just nipped out of the office this morning and bought one  ;)
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

As you do! ;)  Thanks for clarifying that. Any discount from the Beemer stealer for buying a nice shiny new Nav V ??
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wise choice.  As they say, why have a Timex when you can have a Rolex. They might both show the same time but.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: Any discount from the Beemer stealer for buying a nice shiny new Nav V ??
I was charged £550 for the V, will get an SD card later this week and see how it goes  :)
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: Wise choice.  As they say, why have a Timex when you can have a Rolex. They might both show the same time but.
Yes, valid comment there, and really what it boils down to in the end!
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Benchmark wrote: I was charged £550 for the V, will get an SD card later this week and see how it goes  :)
Excuse my ignorance, but what is BMW's current RRP on the Nav V?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Steve F wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but what is BMW's current RRP on the Nav V?
I think its £610