Agricultural clunk

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Zack042

Agricultural clunk

Post by Zack042 »

Just approaching the 600 mile service. When selecting 1st should it still have such an agricultural clunk?
guest2360

Re: Agricultural clunk

Post by guest2360 »

Never really goes away, you learn to ignore it.
Zack042

Post by Zack042 »

Even my GS never sounded this bad
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree its agricultural and the worst part of the bike. Mines got 14.5 K on now and its just as bad. The only way to avoid the crunch is to change from 2 - N - 1 whilst moving slowly and then holding the bike in 1 whilst stationary.
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

My camhead and wethead, both same phenomena
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Same issue, using shift assist appears to lessen it, except when hitting first
Jim
Zack042

Post by Zack042 »

That is the problem. Waiting at lights for example and when 1st is selected it feels like it has been whacked in with a hammer. Given the cost of the bike I thought it might have been a bit more refined!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got to admit though that except for 1st its a good box.  No false neutrals and with Pro Shift probably one if the best around. 
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Zack042 wrote: That is the problem. Waiting at lights for example and when 1st is selected it feels like it has been whacked in with a hammer. Given the cost of the bike I thought it might have been a bit more refined!
If it's any consolation zack, my previous 4 cyl K1300GT was just as erfin clunky in 1st & 2nd gear!! Mind you, if you have a relatively new R1200RT, and you're not happy with it from that aspect, then talk to the dealer and get a second opinion. I find my dealer (from where I bought my RT) extremely helpful. Needless to say, you'd expect a bit of customer focussed service when you've lashed out umpteen grand on one of their bikes.....wouldn't you....?? I certainly would.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: No false neutrals...

False ones aren't the issue - finding the real one is the challenge!

I came from  a Ducati, which conveniently had a neutral between every pair of gears (moving in either direction through the box).  Now I have a bike that only has neutral on add days of the week...
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

richardbd wrote:
False ones aren't the issue - finding the real one is the challenge!

I came from  a Ducati, which conveniently had a neutral between every pair of gears (moving in either direction through the box).  Now I have a bike that only has neutral on add days of the week...
+1, of the various bikes Ive owned, BMW has the most nebulous N
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Apart from the clunk in 1st I have a slight rumble lifting it to second depending on acceleration the remainder is sweet up an down to 2nd to 1st and then it's the same old clunk. I have no issues with Neutral find it every time.
Chad

Post by Chad »

All my RT's have clunked when selecting first. I often wonder why they can't solve this- their cars don't clunk. Agree wit RTman though, the box is faultless after this when on the move- the quickshifter makes me smile everytime. It makes me look like a good rider when I'm downshifting with that little throttle burp. I've never had a false neutral either. I once found a neutral (1st to2nd) on my brothers VFR going around a roundabout; I nearly mounted the firkin thing. It stopped me changing gear on slow tight bends tho!
OrangeOkie

Post by OrangeOkie »

"Agricultural" is too mean of a word for such a refined motorcycle.  "Harley-esque" is much nicer! :))
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10
kerdoman

Post by kerdoman »

My previous 2002 RT1150RT and current 2005 RT1200RT seem to be exactly the same gearbox wise.  As the above post remarks, for this money you'd have thought they could do better. 

My Honda ST1100 also clonked into first sometimes so it's not an unknown issue but if cars can do it properly, why not bikes?