Heated seat on an LC RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Heated seat on an LC RT

Post by Steve F »

Whilst at the dealers yesterday for its 600 mile service, I asked them to check the heated seat on my LC RT as I've never been convinced that it gets warm enough! The dealer checked it for functional operation, all okay there, and then compared to their demo 15 plate RT, which was comparable, ie vaguely warm!
Yes, I get all the visual indications that the seat heater is working, ie graphics on dash, but it just doesn't generate much warmth! So, now having had the dealer check it, and also state that they haven't had this issue logged as a fault by other customers thus far, it appears this is characteristic of this naff heated seat?! The heated grips work extremely well on the other hand!

So, what experience do other LC RT owners have with the heated seat (if only!)? For the record, mine is a 2015 model. Snotogram to BMW Head Office at Bracknell??
guest2360

Re: Heated seat on an LC RT

Post by guest2360 »

On my 14 its very effective with two bars normally enough to keep everything warm. 
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I can concur with RTMan, two bars are plenty.
The problem I've had with my seat is that after I turn it off, it "appears" to stay on and get hotter.
Dealer checked and found no fault log for the seat. I'll have to wait and try it again when the weather gets colder.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ah, so two RTs (14 reg & ?? reg) with decent heated seats. Dealer visit coming up me thinks...!! :nif:

Barryj - what reg is your RT ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I remember reading that the covering used is designed to absorb the heat and then retain it hence the feeling the heat is still on.  Also the black is supposed to reflect sunlight to keep them cool on hot days.  Wouldn't say I've noticed that.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Had mine on 4 bars last week just to take the early morning chill off,  it was extreemly hot and took ages to cool down when I turned it off
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

More evidence then to suggest mine is not functioning correctly !! ::)  What year is your RT Maz12?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As you have just had your 600 mile service the bike is obviously very new.  You wouldn't  have had much chance to do what  Maz13 did with the recent weather.  Have you tried putting on full blast and going for a ride. 
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

September 2014.
RTMan seems to have come up with the answer why my seat "appears" to stay on.

wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

two bars are toasty on my '15
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Thanks for the info Barry & Wayne re bike reg year. Yes, a clear picture is now forming here !! :shirty: Back to the dealer sometime soon then for me!
RTman10 - yes, many rides out and about with seat on full heat for a sustained 40 min or so blast, but still the same feeble warmth from the seat!
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Steve F wrote: More evidence then to suggest mine is not functioning correctly !! ::)  What year is your RT Maz12?
mine is a 2014
Budman

Post by Budman »

Ive never had an issue with my 2014. Mine heats up well and the passenger heat keeps Ann toasty and she is cold natured.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

No problem here on my 2014.  First bike I've ever had with a heated seat and used it all last winter without ever getting the heated jacket out...
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I had an interesting chat with the dealer today (Riders of Cardiff) re my heated seat saga. In short, their advice was to re-check it with my own dealer (Lovetts), by testing out their RT demo bike, and if necessary, swap seats over to establish if it is my seat that's suspect. Riders did stress that the most effective way of testing seats is to ride at speeds above 1300 rpm, and with the pressure of one's derriere(!) on the seat cushion, you should be able to feel the heat from the seat. Well yes, but that's my problem - I can't! Apparently, on some 2014 RTs, the heated seats got so hot (thankfully not for the rider!) that the vinyl/plastic of the seat distorted! BMW tweaked the software to correct this by all accounts. Anyway, Riders have helpfully said that if Lovetts keep drawing a blank on the issue, then they have kindly offered to assist and look into it further for me. So, a visit to Lovetts sometime soon beckons!