Cruise Control SET light on, but doesnt maintain speed.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Allrover

Cruise Control SET light on, but doesnt maintain speed.

Post by Allrover »

Hi all,
First forum post, but I’m not a fly by, so be gentle.
I bought my 2012 model R1200RT about 6 weeks ago and am using it every day to commute to work.  When I bought it the cruise control worked fine, but since then I have found the following problem getting more and more frequent.
Sometimes, when I press the set button, the ‘SET’ light comes on, but the bike does not maintain it’s speed, it’s basically as if the cruise is off.  The first time this happened was on the way back from Scotland, but after a visit into the Services on the M6 for a coffee I found the cruise working fine when I resumed riding.
Since then I’ve had it work fine some days, whilst other days refuse to work as described above.
I searched forum posts, and found one post suggesting this was caused by the clutch cable being set such that the Cruise thinks the clutch is in slightly even when it isn’t – causing it not to maintain the speed.
Indeed, I have found that pushing the clutch lever away from me until it clicks (as the forum post suggested) does occasionally cure the problem, so it does seem feasible.
However I’m still finding now that it is not working more days than it does, and the clutch trick rarely works.
Does anyone have any experience of this problem and can advise of how I might fix it?
Oh and I can no longer find the forum post I heard about that clutch trick on either……
guest2360

Re: Cruise Control SET light on, but doesnt maintain speed.

Post by guest2360 »

The clutch cable trick as you say sounds feasibility but in nearly every case with a playing up cruise control its the switch at fault. 
The switches are a known problem and BMW normally replace them FOC if they are found to be the culprit.  So your next stop should be a friendly dealer
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Clutch on my 2012 RT is Hydraulic, it doesn't have a cable.

The Haynes Manual says, "All models are fitted with an hydraulically operated clutch, for which there is no requirement for adjustment".
The clutch lever has a span adjuster that alters the distance of the lever from the handlebar, pushing the lever away from the bars is part of the adjustment procedure.

Recently my RHS Switch (Stop/Start Button) failed, the deal with BMW is, if one switch fails they will replace both, now also had the LHS Switch replaced.

Don't know if this is the case unless the bike is covered under some sort of BMW Warranty, mine has a 1 Year Used Bike Warranty.

On my 2010 RT, the Windscreen started having a mind of its own after the bike had been left out in the rain overnight, again the LHS Switch.
Applied some ACF-50 to the switch & the problem disappeared, this might be an option.
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My understanding is the (warranty) on switchgear is 60 months. Replacing both when one fails depends on the vin number but it's only quite new stuff that don't get both. 2012 definitely both. Strangely switches are not covered by extended warranty, which is a good thing if you have opted for an excess.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Exactly the same symptoms as my 2013. Switchgear replaced (both sides) free of charge by dealer. Problem solved.
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Chad

Post by Chad »

Would agree- almost certainly the switch assembly. Had exactly the same problem on a Germany trip on my old 2010. Switch gear replaced free of charge but only after shopping around the main dealers. End of problem.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Wonderful, thanks for all your responses. It's gives me much firmer ground on which to have a chat with Williams Motorrad in Manchester.  Also just really reassuing to hear people they have seen the exact same behaviour.
I had a little experiment myself on the way home last night with the clutch, which ruled it out as a cause. If I manually pull the clutch in a tiny bit and then attempt to set the cruise, the SET light doesnt come on at all. The behaviour I see is different - the SET light comes on, but speed is not maintained.
I have the bike booked in for a service with Williams in late September, first call now has to be to them to ask if they will replace the switch at the same time.  I'll have to have achey wrists until then!
I will update the thread with how I get on. Many thanks again everyone.
:)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Allrover wrote:If I manually pull the clutch in a tiny bit and then attempt to set the cruise, the SET light doesn't come on at all.
The clutch has a switch mounted inside the handlebar lever.

The switch is part of the safety circuit which allows the starter motor to operate only if the transmission is in neutral or,
if the transmission is in gear, with the clutch lever pulled into the handlebar and the side stand up.

The same switch deactivates the cruise control when changing gear, which is why it cannot be set with the clutch partially pulled in.
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

DaygloDavid wrote: The clutch has a switch mounted inside the handlebar lever.

The switch is part of the safety circuit which allows the starter motor to operate only if the transmission is in neutral or,
if the transmission is in gear, with the clutch lever pulled into the handlebar and the side stand up.

The same switch deactivates the cruise control when changing gear, which is why it cannot be set with the clutch partially pulled in.
Sorry, yes, I didn't mean to imply in my previous post that this was the wrong behaviour. I would absolutely expect the cruise not to engage (and see no SET light), if the clutch was in.
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Just spoken to Williams BMW in Manchester and they confirmed BMW policy is all bikes with the single stem indicator model switch gear are entitled to a one time free replacement as there are known issues. 
They checked the history on my bike and the right switches had already been replaced, but the left ones hadn't, so I am now booked in for it to be replaced on the 29th of Sep whilst its having its service done. Rock on. Thanks all.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

One time replacement ah.  I had 3 left and 2 right on my K1600 in 2 years. 
Chad

Post by Chad »

RTman10 wrote: One time replacement ah.  I had 3 left and 2 right on my K1600 in 2 years.
...And how much do we pay for these premium bikes???  I just wish motorrad would gets Honda or Yamaha to make these switches for them. (And maybe the final drive unit & engine casings so we don't have the corrosion issues!)  I'm so paranoid about my switch gear going that I place plastic bags over the end of the handle bars when I wash the bike. I'll let you know in 12 months time if this works lol.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've got everything crossed typing this, but,  it looks like since the latest versions of the switchgear came out which was late last year the problem seems to be slowly going away.  As they won't replace the earlier ones until they fail it could take some time before we all forget about it..
Allrover

Post by Allrover »

Hi all,
my bike was finally in for its service and replacement switch gear last weekend and guess what.....the cruise control now works!  :enjoying:
I am absolutely delighted.  They told me they changed both left and right side switches for some reason, but I don't care.  Hopefully this thread will be useful if someone else sees the same behaviour. I can categorically state that replacing the switch DOES fix it.