Changing the rear tire

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Budman

Changing the rear tire

Post by Budman »

I may be the only one who has noticed but Ive got an issue with my owners manual. When you read the part on changing the rear tire on a 2014 RT it says nothing about having to remove the muffler. Last night I changed out my front and rear tires after 10,400 miles on the PR4GT for a new set and found that I had to remove the muffler to get the rear out from under the fender.
It wasnt a big deal, simply remove the heat shield then loosen the clamp and pull the muffler straight back. Once that is off the tire comes out nicely.  Putting it back is simple as well.

All torqued and ready to ride today.It has finally stopped raining and Im headed out.

Bud 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Changing the rear tire

Post by David. »

Using this link, http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html,
to download a Rider's Manual, gives 3 choices for a USA Model Code 0A13 RT, Oct. 2013 onward, March 2014 onward & Aug. 2014 onward.

The first two don't say that the Muffler needs to be removed, whereas the last one does!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

The UK owner's manual on the 2015 RT only refers to swinging the silencer out CW toward the outside (?) before removing the wheel bolts etc. :wonder:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve F wrote: The UK owner's manual on the 2015 RT only refers to swinging the silencer out CW toward the outside (?) before removing the wheel bolts etc. :wonder:

Is the proper way to do it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The 3 UK Rider's Manuals are the same as those for the USA Models.

Although the Aug. 2014 refers to "Swinging the Silencer out" not removing it, I'd remove it for easier access to the wheel bolts & less risk of causing any damage.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budman

Post by Budman »

On my 2014 , unlike my 2012, the muffler does not swing out. It is removed by loosening the clamp under the heat shield that is held on with 3 screws. Once the shield is removed the muffler clamp is loosened and the muffler can be removed for easy access. Im not taking the heat shield off to take pictures, you will just have to take my word for it.

My bike serial number shows that my bike was made in July of 2014 if I remember correctly. It is not a recall bike. It shipped with all the new parts installed. My riders manual says nothing about removing the muffler or swing it out like my 2012 manual did.