Heated seat on an LC RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
step2534

Re: Heated seat on an LC RT

Post by step2534 »

Steve,  You could also try some thinner undercrackers :)) :))
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

GO COMMANDO  :beee:
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Errr!? Too much risk of chafing.......or worse...!! ;)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is it possible that the difference in the perceived output/heat from the seat is down to the seat height option, i.e. High, Standard or Low.

When asked, a BMW dealer told me that the difference in seat height is achieved by adding or reducing the amount of cushioning & that the base remains the same.

Just a thought, I may be way off the mark.

Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: Is it possible that the difference in the perceived output/heat from the seat is down to the seat height option, i.e. High, Standard or Low.

When asked, a BMW dealer told me that the difference in seat height is achieved by adding or reducing the amount of cushioning & that the base remains the same.

Just a thought, I may be way off the mark.

Strikes me as quite a sensible thought...
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, that's an interesting slant on it. My seat is the OE high seat, so this may possibly be linked.....??
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Mine is the standard seat and gets vert hot,  so unless the heating elements are near the top on all seats (low,standard,high) then I dread to think how hot the low seat gets
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: Mine is the standard seat and gets vert hot, so unless the heating elements are near the top on all seats (low,standard,high) then I dread to think how hot the low seat gets
I have the low seat and yes it gets hot. I'm nearly sure the elements are set at the same depth on all of them. If it was set at different depths you would need a software update to reset the heat if you changed your seat and you don't
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:Apparently, on some 2014 RTs, the heated seats got so hot (thankfully not for the rider!) that the vinyl/plastic of the seat distorted! BMW tweaked the software to correct this by all accounts.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote:
Don't remember that in 2014 but in Feb 2005 when the 1200RT was launched BMW immediately put out a notice not to use the heated seats.  I ran one in over a long weekend and froze.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Well, strange as it sounds (to me at least) my heated seat is finally putting out some therms!! Having ridden it around the last few days with the seat setting on 5 bars maximum setting, it actually feels quite comfortable when wearing armoured jeans :enjoying: . Setting it at 2 bars heat, it's still mediocre heating though ! :( .....but it does work, and I'm sure my dealer will be very pleased to know that!! ??? Needless to say, I'll keep monitoring it over the coming months as we plunge into winter! :(
Stevecccc

Post by Stevecccc »

no issue with the 2016, manual says crank it up for a few then keep it at 1 bar and thats what I do and it works very well
Blue 2016 R1200RT Fully Loaded
LIRider

Post by LIRider »

I haven't put very many miles on my 2016 (low seat) but I will say the seat doesn't get nearly as warm as the grips do.  I can't keep the grips turned up very far (or for very long) or my hands will feel like I just grabbed he exhaust pipe by mistake (and that's with Winter gloves on).  The seat, on the other hand, barely gets noticeable when set all the way up.  I will definitely mention it to my dealer when I reach the 600 mile service. 
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The trick with the grips is don't bother with winter gloves. I use summer waterproof ones all year round with the bars set on 2 and still get sticky fingers now and then. The seat is definitely a more gentle heat which is a good thing
Rollmaster

Post by Rollmaster »

Mine is a 15 and has worked very well with only 2 bars activated.  Just replaced it with a Sargent heated seat and hope that works just the same.  Won't be able to try it until all the road salt is gone.