RTLC is HOT!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mercator1

RTLC is HOT!

Post by mercator1 »

Man, compared to my old '05 RT, the '15 model gives off a ton of heat.  The radiator fan vents really put out the warmth.  The left side feels like a heat gun on my knee.  Good news is, it will feel great this Winter.  The bad news is, we get a lot more hot weather than cold in Alabama.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: RTLC is HOT!

Post by T6pilot »

Isn't left side oil cooler
Right side radiator
And yes they put out some serious heat
Researching if RTP models have different cooling system both oil and radiator or different fan system, would be great to have extra cooling on hot days
Jim
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I wish someone would make little fairing extension that slipped into those vents.  Just another 1" or so and the heat would miss my legs.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

After demo riding a KTM 1290 Super Adventure yesterday at Barbers Vintage Festival, I won't complain about RT heat again.  That KTM cooked my butt.  There aren't any engine or exhaust components right below the seat, but somehow the heat generated is ridiculous.  I don't see how you could ride that in Alabama in the summer.  That bike will definitely pull a stump though.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hey, that would put an end to heated seat issues...!! ;)
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Yeah, he said "it would feel great in Winter", to which I replied that the experience would be different on a 105 degree day in Summer.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When your out on a warm Alabama day where does your temperature gauge sit.  Here in 15-20C England its normally about half way up the scale.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I've only had the bike for a short time, so I haven't had it in the hottest part of the summer.  About 2/3 up the scale is as far as it has gone.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Perfectly normal.
OrangeOkie

Post by OrangeOkie »

FWIW I've not felt any excessive heat.  I come from Moto Guzzis, so maybe I am used to it, if it is there.  Nevertheless, it is all relative.  Don't want to frighten the horses you know.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. - Ecclesiastes 9:10
hkeithmurray

Post by hkeithmurray »

I am worried about this also.  I had a 2002 LT and the radiator vents look very similar to the RT.  On my LT you were just cooked in the summer, and I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a new RT for this very reason.

When I questioned on my LT, the faithful told me it must be me (ie.  are you sure the heated seat is off?  Do you have full gear on? etc.) .

So keep us posted on your honest opinions.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

hkeithmurray wrote: I am worried about this also.  I had a 2002 LT and the radiator vents look very similar to the RT.  On my LT you were just cooked in the summer, and I am hesitant to pull the trigger on a new RT for this very reason.

When I questioned on my LT, the faithful told me it must be me (ie.  are you sure the heated seat is off?  Do you have full gear on? etc.) .

So keep us posted on your honest opinions.

I got my new RT in late August, and the few really hot days that I rode it were made worse by the vents (especially the left).  It certainly isn't a deal breaker, but it is a bike clearly designed by engineers in cooler climates.
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

I live in Southern Arizona and have no complaint about engine heat on my 2015 or 2007 RTs.  I think the ducting is pretty effective.

You want to feel real engine heat?  Ride some of the other bikes listed above or a Harley.
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

I have ridden mine in 34C here in the summer. Some heat detectable, but never over the level that it is becoming annoying.
Sure, compared to my RT Hexhead which had zero heat, you do notice it after a while.
But not a deal breaker and that is over here where 30C+ to 40C can happen multiple times in summer.
The bigger problem is more not getting enough airflow from the front due to the large fairing, even with the screen fully lowered, compared to a sports bike.
It's all a compromise. You want absolute comfort, use a car with aircondition.
2014 R1200RT-LC
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

I owned a FLTRUSE11  Cvo. Harley the heat was herendous, even changed the exthaust system.  100 percent difference with 2015 R1200RT.  Heat is no longer a issue with my BMW.