fuel strip faulty

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
adewhitmarsh

fuel strip faulty

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Noticed today that the fuel gauge is reading empty & yellow warning triangle is on.i rang local BMW dealer (Gloucester uk) & have been quoted £175.00 for replacement.
guest2360

Re: fuel strip faulty

Post by guest2360 »

These have been going wrong for years. BMW policy seems to be if its out of warranty is to make you pay the first time it fails but FOC if it goes again. Check the bikes history before paying. Not quite sure how far back they take this as the original 1200RT had a different system.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Budman

Post by Budman »

What year is your bike. In the US there is a 12 year extended warranty on some models. You should check on that. Fuel strips were a big pain. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's some warranty on a bike that's only been around for 10 years. Definitely nothing like that this side of the pond..
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I'm waiting on my local dealer to contact BMW for a full or part payment for the repairs.
lexy

Post by lexy »

As crazy as it sounds sparking the level sensor with a piezo electric lighter can work:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/f ... 53/page-13
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

BMW is replacing my fuel strip under warranty.
Not bad for an eight year old bike that I purchased used.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

I had the same issue with the 2007 RT that I recently bought.
The Fuel strip had actually been replaced at BMW a few years ago at the previous owners cost. When I got the bike the Fuel strip was shot again.
So I rang the Dealers in Brighton and Guildford as they where my closest main dealers but even with the receipt for the previous strip and a full BMW Service History they werent interested in offering any goodwill. Although they where happy for me to pay a little under £300 for them to supply and fit another new one.
The dealer in Guildford did recomend that I E-mail BMW UK with my bikes details, service history, etc but I never heard anything back after the initial automated reply that acknolwedged the receipt of my message. Obviously a fantastic bit of customerservice.

So I scoured the Forums and found instructions on the "Peizo Fix". Built myself the tool using the instructions I found and tried it out. Low & Behold it worked beautifully and I now have a fully functional fuel gauage again.
I've kept the little tool and to carry out the job takes less than 15 minutes so if anyone ever wants help with their bike and wants a trip down to me on the South Coast then I'm happy to help people out.