Calling all RTLC Autocomers...

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Calling all RTLC Autocomers...

Post by richardbd »

Where do you chaps mount the socket that you connect your helmet/headset to?  The one with the weatherproof cap on it.

Everywhere I try I end up knocking it off.

First I tried it low down by my left knee.  That didn't work.

Next I tried just in front of the seat, on the front of the tank.  That didn't work.

I use a tank bag, so much of the tank is out of bounds but there has to be an obvious answer that i'm missing.

Answers on a postcard please...

guest2360

Re: Calling all RTLC Autocomers...

Post by guest2360 »

Unfortunately they are designed to pull off.
Two solutions
No 1. Sling it
No 2. Replace the sticky stuff with two bits of quality Velcro, ie the stuff that comes with the Autocom kit.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Unfortunately they are designed to pull off.
Two solutions
No 1. Sling it
No 2. Replace the sticky stuff with two bits of quality Velcro, ie the stuff that comes with the Autocom kit.

No 2 top of the list so far...
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I just leave the lead hanging down from the front seat.
Like you I haven't found a place to mount the "holder"

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

barryj wrote: I just leave the lead hanging down from the front seat.
Like you I haven't found a place to mount the "holder"
That's what I've been doing but find I manage now and again to unplug myself when starting and stopping. My latest solution is to run the cable up between the front of the seat and the tank. I have attached the cable to the tank with the narrow strip of the soft Velcro and have about 4 in resting loose past the Velcro. I plug in before jumping on but can easily plug in or out when on. On a recent trip round Scotland it worked great. Will post a pic tomorrow.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

I've decided to try without the socket and/or velcro.

I've used a couple of cable-ties to fix the rain plug to the socket and am going to let the cable dangle.  Let's see if that works...

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have used Halfords Adhesive Cable Clips to good effect for Heated Clothing cables/sockets.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... able-clips

They also do a Large size, would probably work OK with Autocom leads.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... lips-large
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My latest solution. It's to hand to plug in and the cable sits neatly when connected. The waterproof cap is the terminal cover used on most new BMW batteries so your local friendly dealer will have loads of them to give away. As stated earlier its all held in place with a small strip of Velcro attached to the tank and wrapped once round the cable.
Attachments
WP_20151026_07_56_22_Pro.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I've used Autocom for years... my lead just hangs from the front of the seat, on the left.
Have never used a cover on it ever... had no problems with this set up in over 15 years.
My better half's lead is just the same, no cover just coming out on the left of the pillion seat.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

smileymiley wrote: I've used Autocom for years... my lead just hangs from the front of the seat, on the left.
Have never used a cover on it ever... had no problems with this set up in over 15 years.
My better half's lead is just the same, no cover just coming out on the left of the pillion seat.

That's just what I have done for years. Never any problem with water getting in as they hung down  when not in use.  For some reason on this bike I keep disconnecting and having it sitting away from my leg has solved the problem. I only bother with the cover if I don't bother to connect. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:The waterproof cap is the terminal cover used on most new BMW batteries so your local friendly dealer will have loads of them to give away.

What a great idea John, just found a couple of Optimate weatherproof caps in the Garage,
they fit perfectly over the end of the Autocom Socket & are retained in place when removed with the rubber ring around the cable/socket.

I don't use ebay, but found these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-w ... 1031561331

Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Some excellent solutions in here chaps.

Now, if you could just apply the same ingenuity to how we lock our Nav5 to the bike please....

:)) :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To be honest because the unit just sits there with the whole unit visible I don't think there is much mileage in trying to lock two small plastic tabs down. The low life our there are always going to just grab it and pull and I'm sure that will be the last you will see of it. 
Until BMW graft the 1600 system on the RT I for one will never leave it in view unattended.  Even the locking system used on the GS in my opinion is a bit of an afterthought but a bit better than nothing
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

An aftermarket GPS Mounting Bracket,

and the BMW Lockable GS Mount would do the trick.

Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.