Plastic key Function

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gavanhe

Plastic key Function

Post by gavanhe »

Having recently purchased a second hand r1200rt, I was supplied with a plastic key. Does any body know its function. I am unable to locate a reference to it in the manual.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry
guest2360

Re: Plastic key Function

Post by guest2360 »

Its just an emergency key.  It has a chip in it so will start the bike. 
wayneosdias

Post by wayneosdias »

gavanhe wrote: Having recently purchased a second hand r1200rt, I was supplied with a plastic key. Does any body know its function. I am unable to locate a reference to it in the manual.
Cheers
Gerry
To add to what RTman said, it doesnt have the full range of the FOB key. It must be placed, or wedged if you will between the top of the cluster and fairing in order to work. This is per the dealer, I personally have not tried it on my bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

wayneosdias wrote: To add to what RTman said, it doesnt have the full range of the FOB key. It must be placed, or wedged if you will between the top of the cluster and fairing in order to work. This is per the dealer, I personally have not tried it on my bike.
I'm confused. Its just a key. It fits in all the locks. Not very strong though and you could snap it off undoing the steering lock if its stiff. If you have a keyless system it can be used for starting by holding it very close to the fuel filler cap and pressing the keyless button.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

wayneosdias wrote:It doesn't have the full range of the FOB key. It must be placed, or wedged if you will between the top of the cluster and fairing in order to work.
Looking at the Rider's Manual, (page 52), there is a picture showing the emergency key centred into the gap above instrument panel.

This is for Bikes which have "Ignition with Keyless Ride".
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gavanhe wrote:Having recently purchased a second hand r1200rt.
What year is the Bike, is it a Euro or USA Model & does it have Keyless Ignition.
gavanhe

Post by gavanhe »

It's a 2014 model in Australia, not keyless, just central locking !!
Last edited by gavanhe on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

gavanhe wrote: It's a 2014 model in Australia, not keyless, just central locking !!

In that case it's just an extra ignition key.