Oil leak at rear of engine

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Firenailer

Oil leak at rear of engine

Post by Firenailer »

When I returned home today after a 225 mile ride I found oil dripping from the rear of the engine on my 2012 RT. I saw a few drops drip down and started crawling around trying to see where it was coming from. The drain bolt, filter and fill look fine. I wiped everything down and waited to see if I'd see more, sure enough a couple more drops come down from the rear of the engine. Not much more came out after it cooled and was up on the center stand.

It's only got 17000 miles on it, could it be the rear engine seal going?
guest2360

Re: Oil leak at rear of engine

Post by guest2360 »

Probably a gear box seal or the shaft seal. Can lead to oil on the clutch plate which is terminal for that. Don't leave it. There is also a felt seal on the clutch push rod that can fail. All the above need the gearbox off to fix.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Yeah RT, that's what I'm thinking too. This is going to be an expensive repair, looks like they have to split it in half to get to the seal and I can't do that here in my garage.

The first photo shows the leak from the right side, looks like it's higher than anything from the plug or filter. Ah, it is what it is, may as well have them change the clutch while they're in there and start like new again. Anything else to look for or change while its split?

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Clutches often outlive their owners so as long as its not been oiled. But you are correct its a dealer job. No extended warranty then?
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

No, I'm out of warranty. Looks like I'm going to eat this one...I guess things happen, still dissapointing though.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:I'm out of warranty.
The Used Bike Warranty on my 2012 RT has just recently expired. Having spoken to BMW Warranty Services (UK),I was told that I can take out an Extended Warranty anytime in the future up to the Bike having covered 80,000 miles, unless there is an existing Warranty in force at the time.

My Bike will now be laid up until 1st April 2016. If I take out an Extended Warranty on 1st March 2016, wait a month for it to come into effect, then theoretically I can then make a claim.

Might be worth investigating.

Not sure if Oil Seals/Leaks are covered under an Extended Warranty.
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Interesting, I'll ask.

Thanks!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Warranty Services sent me an e-mail with a Policy Handbook attached.

Component Cover

Seals and gaskets
Failure of the following: engine – rear main oil seal, front crankshaft seal, output shaft seal, cylinder head gasket and valve guide oil seals. Gearbox – input shaft seal, output shaft seal and clutch push rod seal. Rear axle – pinion oil seal.

Miscellaneous
Other than the oil seals and gaskets specifically listed above, the rectification of oil leaks is not covered and the cost of seals and gaskets will only be accepted where they are required as a direct consequence of a valid claim under the insurance.
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That seems to cover most of them
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/War ... tyOverview

See Details of Cover.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Wow I think I wish I lived on your side of the pond! I checked at the Dealership yesterday and was told that there wasn't any extended warranties available here. We had talked about it when my 3 yr factory warranty had expired and they had said the same thing.

I think I'm just going to have to eat this one and decide wether to keep the bike next year.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Unbelievable, we get something the US don't. At a price of course .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:We had talked about it when my 3 yr factory warranty had expired.
How long is it since the 3 Year Warranty expired.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

About a year,  I just went through the paperwork and the in service date was 10/26/11. I'd reported that the clutch was feeling a little off to me when I had it in for service or oil changes a couple of times, but the first was 11/14....So even if that was when the leak started, I was still out of warranty.

I haven't completely lost faith, but I AM beginning to wonder just how many parts did BMW contract out to cheaper vendors? The switches and shocks were Unsettling, and when I asked about this seal I was told that they've been problematic and are being replaced with a new revamped seal that would be warrantied for 2 years.

Since it's probably the most expensive repair possible on the RT I certainly hope it's been revamped! And if it's been that "problematic" why aren't they replacing them at their cost, Like the switches, shocks and whatever else they've had issues with recalled or replaced under service bulletin?

Out of curiosity, what did those extended warranties cost to buy?

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:Out of curiosity, what did those extended warranties cost to buy?
I've got a quote for an Annual Policy of £348 with a £50 Excess or £322.01 with a £100 Excess.

If I go ahead & purchase an Extended Warranty, it will be on a monthly basis, probably for 7 months at £32 per month with a £50 Excess or £30 per month with a £100 Excess.