Disconnecting Battery on a 2015 R1200RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
hdtrader

Disconnecting Battery on a 2015 R1200RT

Post by hdtrader »

Hello everybody...need some advice please.  I'm installing a Battery Tender Harness direct to the battery on my 2015 R1200RT...my question is:  Before I disconnect the battery - what do I need to do?  My RT has Keyless Ride and Security System...the owners manual stated to disconnect the DWA prior disconnecting the battery...how do I disconnect it? 

Advice is greatly appreciated...don't want to set-of any alarms or alerts or prevent it from starting.  I'm just a bit confused on this subject...

Thanks,
Randy
Last edited by hdtrader on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Disconnecting Battery on a 2015 R1200RT

Post by T6pilot »

Same bike, installed powerlet by connecting directly to battery, no issues

Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

hdtrader wrote:The owners manual stated to disconnect the DWA prior disconnecting the battery.
Does the DWA just need deactivating rather than disconnecting.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think they just mean make sure the ignition is off and the alarm not set.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

Thanks all...I was reading more into it than I probably should have.  Also, please bear with me...I'm sure I will have more questions as I get deeper into the maintenance and operation of owning this bike. 

Randy

Last edited by hdtrader on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

Battery Tender Wiring Harness Installation is complete.  However, the service light came on but went out after I reset time and date.  The bike is "currently" on the Battery Tender and it is about to top off charging...Thank-you all for the advice and peace-of-mind regarding the DWA when disconnecting the battery.  This is a great forum...

Randy
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

Just to make certain: You left the battery connected to the bike - as regularly is-  and plugged the Battery Tender into the bike? (directly through your new harness)
I am asking because I used to do that to my old GS, but I read somewhere in the RT manual that it is an absolute no-no (or was it nein-nein?)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Randy.  If I were you I would not leave the charger permanently attached.  My 14 stood for nearly 3 months during the shock recall and it was still 80% charged at the end. I plug mine in about once a month during winter and it takes all of 3 hours to get it back to full.  Its a different story if you are leaving the alarm on though in which case possibly once a week. .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

USTourer wrote:You left the battery connected to the bike - as regularly is- and plugged the Battery Tender into the bike? (directly through your new harness).
I am asking because I used to do that to my old GS, but I read somewhere in the RT manual that it is an absolute no-no (or was it nein-nein?).
Yes, the Rider's Manual (page 149), says,

ATTENTION
Charging connected battery via the battery terminals.
Damage to the on-board electronics.
Disconnect the battery at the battery terminals before charging.

I've been charging batteries on my 3 RT's, via a lead bolted directly to the battery since 2007, with no damage caused to the electronics.

Here is an example of a Battery Tender/Charger bolted directly to the Battery on a 2015 RT LC.

hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

USTourer wrote: Just to make certain: You left the battery connected to the bike - as regularly is-  and plugged the Battery Tender into the bike? (directly through your new harness)
I am asking because I used to do that to my old GS, but I read somewhere in the RT manual that it is an absolute no-no (or was it nein-nein?)

That is correct...I do not disconnect the battery from the bike while it is on the Battery Tender.  After I installed the harness...I left the Battery Tender connected to the harness for several hours tonight and once the battery was fully charged it went into float mode. The same as all my other motorcycles.  It seems to be working okay...

Thanks,
Randy
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

DaygloDavid wrote: Yes, the Rider's Manual (page 149),says,

ATTENTION
Charging connected battery via the battery terminals.
Damage to the on-board electronics.
Disconnect the battery at the battery terminals before charging.

I've been charging batteries on my 3 RT's, via a lead bolted directly to the battery since 2007, with no damage caused to the electronics.

Here is an example of a Battery Tender/Charger bolted directly to the Battery on a 2015 RT LC.

Thanks for the pic...that is the exact same way I connected my harness.  I did not remove the battery when I was installing the harness...I connected the negative lead to the battery and the positive lead to the jump post. 

Thanks,
Randy
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi Randy, out of interest, which Battery Tender/Charger do you have, thanks David.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

RTman10 wrote: Randy.  If I were you I would not leave the charger permanently attached.  My 14 stood for nearly 3 months during the shock recall and it was still 80% charged at the end. I plug mine in about once a month during winter and it takes all of 3 hours to get it back to full.  Its a different story if you are leaving the alarm on though in which case possibly once a week. .

Thanks RTman10...The charging harness I installed has an LED indicator light which flashes red when the battery needs charging.  Due the weather here in the "colder" part of Alabama...my Battery Tender is connected for only a few weeks at a time.  I alternate my Battery Tenders between my other bikes and scooters during those cold months.

Thanks,
Randy
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

DaygloDavid wrote: Hi Randy, out of interest, which Battery Tender/Charger do you have, thanks David.

David,  I have several bikes so I have several chargers.  My favorite is the old " Square Box" Battery Tender Plus 1.25A.  I also have a couple of 750ma that I use on the Vespa scooters.  They all seem to do their job...
Attachments
IMG_3007.jpg
Last edited by hdtrader on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

hdtrader wrote:I have several bikes so I have several chargers. My favorite is the old " Square Box" Battery Tender Plus 1.25A.
Deltran Battery Tender http://www.batterytender.com/.