Top case wiring question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mercator1

Top case wiring question

Post by mercator1 »

My unlighted top case just got back from painter, and I'm wanting to go ahead and wire it for an auxiliary tail light while the "skin" is off the lid.  I can see where the wiring is intended to go through the grommet and around the lid, and down behind that rounded keeper on the back right corner.  It looks like it is intended to cross the hinge area and go down through the bottom shell and out that grommet in the bottom, is that correct?  If so, it looks like I'd have to disassemble the bottom shell and "skin" like I did the top, no?

Just wondering if that's the path the wiring in the pre-lighted cases follows?
guest3074

Re: Top case wiring question

Post by guest3074 »

I did mine a couple of months ago and only just decided to get the cover painted so while the cover is off here is my cable route in the pics below. I managed to get my cable through the base without stripping down, I removed the grommet at the base and pushed in a draw wire and bent it back with my finger towards the rear of the case and slowly pushed it and then managed to hook it out in the rear right corner  ;)
Attachments
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Looks like you went into the interior through that upper grommet also, so I'm assuming you installed an interior light?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

mercator1 wrote: so I'm assuming you installed an interior light?
I've only just decided to add an interior light while the lid is off, I just used a couple of those white flexible LED strips for now  ;)
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

Mine came with a interior light.
Where do you switch it on and off?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

jackhd wrote: Mine came with a interior light.
Where do you switch it on and off?
As it's LED the current drawn is minimal so it's on all the time the bike engine is running.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

My LE came with the fully functional top case, led, locking etc.
I found out that when the lid is open the light stay on. I hadn't realised there was a light in there until after I had left the lid open, after carrying some wet "stuff", it wasn't until I went to the garage in the dark the next day that I found the light on.
Simply closing the locking handle turns the light off and I can leave the lid open to "air" the box when required.
As mentioned, current drain is minimal so shouldn't affect anything for a couple of days.