Oil leak at rear of engine

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Firenailer

Re: Oil leak at rear of engine

Post by Firenailer »

I asked again about warranties when I picked up my bike on Saturday...No Go here in the US.

The good news is that I got it in quick enough so that there was no damage to any of the Clutch Works so I saved money there. They ended up changing The Rear Main and Shaft seals, the Clutch Output Cylinder as it was showing signs of rust and a broken exhaust mount. The Clutch plate was clean and measured as new with a Caliper.

All totaled the repair cost $1200. Not terrific, but it's much better than it might have been.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

There is another route to consider when an "Out of Warranty" repair is required. If your bike has a good BMW Dealer service history you should ask your dealer to approach BMW about a goodwill "Out of Warranty" repair. I have had two out of warranty repairs  carried out with a considerable cost contribution from BMW. The last being replacement of the Fuel Tank Level Sender Ribbon on our previous RT. Cost to me was about £130. It does mention this somewhere in the Rider's Manual. See page 144. (For generous treatment of claims submitted after the warranty has expired, evidence of regular maintenance is essential".
Last edited by Our Gee on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking at the repair cost, and it's about the same in UK extended warranty would seem to be a sensible choice. I had it once but sold the bike before I had a chance to use it