seat heaters

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Peter W

seat heaters

Post by Peter W »

I have a 2015 with heated seats.  Turned on the heated seats today but they did not appear to be working.  If they were working they do not get very warm.  Checked the electrical plug under the seat and it was plugged in.  This is my first time attempting to use the seat heaters.  Curious to know how warm they typically get.  Can anyone comment on the heat level
Firenailer

Re: seat heaters

Post by Firenailer »

On my 2012 there are just 2 settings low and high. Low takes awhile but warms nicely, high will roast the walnuts!

If I remember correctly the wethead has a variable heat controlled by the wonder wheel on the left side. Did you crank that up?
ichavis
Bike Model and Year: 2014 BMW R1200RT
United States of America

Post by ichavis »

What is the outdoor temp when you are trying this, i can say, when it is warmer out  seems like the heat does not work but rest assured when the temp drops and you have the heat turned you should feel it, if not take it back to the dealer.
2014 BMW R1200RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Peter W wrote:Can anyone comment on the heat level.
Is this thread any help, http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1612.0.html

A similar thread on UKGSer about R1200RT LC Seat Heating, http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ould-it-be
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Put it on full heat and go for a 10 mile ride.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Peter. Yes, I'm inclined to agree with RTman10 - put it on max heat setting (via the handlebar WONDER WHEEL) and go for a sustained ride at a good speed. If it still isn't getting warm/hot after a decent ride, then yes, you may well have an issue that requires a dealer visit!
I started out with what I believed to be a malfunctioning heated seat on my 2015 RT several weeks ago. However, with numerous rides with the heat setting on a high setting and riding at a decent speed (i.e. approx 60mph) for several miles, the seat did actually get quite warm, but plodding around town at much slower speeds, then no, it doesn't get anywhere near as warm! To me, this particular heated seat is an over-engineered component, given that it appears to depend on forward speed, engine RPM (ambient temp??) and possibly overall thickness of the seat cushion (i.e. OEM high seat or low seat option) ??? [size=78%]. My problem is that I keep comparing it to my previous bike, a K13GT, which had a lovely heated seat that got nice and toasty regardless of speed etc! Hey ho![/size] ::)

mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Actually, on a long ride, it's hard to tell if it's the seat heating up or just butt burn from fatigue.
ll12rt

Post by ll12rt »

Mine gets too warm at level 3 (of 5), So if you're not feeling any warmth after a 10 mile ride, you need to get it fixed!
New: 2014 RT  Old: 2009 HD Road Glide