should servo breaks be a deal breaker?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rturnr

should servo breaks be a deal breaker?

Post by rturnr »

Hello
This my first post on this site. I've been riding v-twins for the last 10 years and recently test rode a 2010 1200rt while waiting for the bike I originally planned to demo became available. Wow. The difference between my 09 Nomad and this bike was like nite and day. I'm seriously considering making the switch but due to the cost am looking at 05-08 1200rts. I found a nice 05 and 06 with approx 20k miles on them but I'm concerned about the stories of servo maintenance and repair costs on the 05 and 06. Should the servo be a deal breaker? Thanks.
fatnfast

Re: should servo breaks be a deal breaker?

Post by fatnfast »

If the bike has been correctly maintained with documented brake fluid changes every year, then it should be fine, but I would hold out for a non-servo. In fact I did. BMW binned the idea, and it really was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Not only does it add to the maintenance burden, if it fails it can be expensive to put right (unless you remove it and live with non ABS brakes).
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I had no brake problems in the 5k miles that I put on the '05 I bought last year.  I traded it for a '15 model this year, for no good reason.  Found a substantial oil leak during trade inspection, but the brakes were fine.  They were a different feel (and mainly sound) from what I was used to, but they certainly stopped on a dime.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't do it, find an 07 on one.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Never had a problem with servo brakes, Neither on my 2004RT Oilhead, nor the 2005RT Hexhead.
Some riders intensively dislike them, but I never had an issue in regards to feel. More then enough stopping power.
They will give you less stopping power if the engine is off for whatever reason, but not as extreme as a lot are making out.
I purchased a brand new 2014RT-LC and traded in my 2005RT Hexhead. So jumping off one bike and got onto the new one.
Difference in braking was not dramatic.
2014 R1200RT-LC
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If the servo fails you end up with what BMW call "residual braking" non technical term is next to sod all. 07 stop just as well without any servo but its a totally different system. The cost of replacing the servo is likely to be more than the value of the bike.  DONT DO IT.
Budman

Post by Budman »

I never cared for the servo system on my RT. Was glad to be rid of the noise and the  idea that if it failed I'd be in a heap of trouble. Id find one without the servo system. 
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I agree with RTman10 and Budman.  Go for the one without servo. if it goes wrong its horrendous plus I found that even changing the brake fluid was expensive so that added to service costs.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: If the servo fails you end up with what BMW call "residual braking" non technical term is next to sod all. 07 stop just as well without any servo but its a totally different system. The cost of replacing the servo is likely to be more than the value of the bike.  DONT DO IT.
When I took my '05 in and the main oil leak was found, the servo brakes were part of the decision to trade.  The oil leak repair was going to be expensive enough, but I couldn't risk spending that kind of money, and then have the servo system go out a month later.  I would have spent more than the bike was worth.
dave y

Post by dave y »

It should be a deal breaker.  Too many other non-servo bikes out there.  My point of reference is that I bought a an '05 RT sidecar rig.  Servo for rear died almost immediately.  Spent a lot of time on any potential solutions like low or dirty brake fluid. Bought the special module filling funnel.......

Typical replacement cost is about $4k at a dealer.  Best part cost I found was from a firm in Germany for about $1,500 USD.

I ended up doing an ABSectomy.  It's a lot of work but not rocket science.  Total cost was about $50 for a couple of banjo bolts and fluid. Had a spare braided hose from another project, so lucked out there. It does take some additional work and fabrication on separating out the electronics from the ABS servo since the speedo and brake lights go through the module.  Was amazed at how far down I had to strip the bike down.

Now have great brakes, no concerns over system going into the dreaded "residual mode".

Dave