Touratech Engine Guards Installed

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Pinto

Touratech Engine Guards Installed

Post by Pinto »

Relatively new Touratech engine guards and under engine bash plate installed on '16 RT. Look good without making an RT not look to GS ish.  Good place to attach  Illiumworks fog lamp mounts as well.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpg
Last edited by Pinto on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3074

Re: Touratech Engine Guards Installed

Post by guest3074 »

One of the reasons I choose and fitted these was that they are in stainless steel, last ones on my 2010RT started rusting  :(

I mounted my clearwater lights to my bars  ;)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Nice looking Bars, Pinto...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

Benchmark wrote: One of the reasons I choose and fitted these was that they are in stainless steel, last ones on my 2010RT started rusting  :(

I mounted my clearwater lights to my bars  ;)

My Wunderlich bars already have a powdercoat paint chip from a stone (I suppose), and I'm sure will rust in no time.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Each to their own but for my part, I think the terms "engine bars" and "good looking" are contradictions as far as the RT is concerned.  On a GS yes, on the RT no way.

I put the BMW cylinder head protectors on but beyond that, I'm happy to run the risk of a bit more damage for the benefit of riding round on a bike that looks sleek, not like it's just visited a scaffolding yard!

notnot
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have the proper head guards. They do protect the bike in a drop keeping all the panels and mirror clear of the ground. Being heavy stainless steel with rubber bits they won't rust or mark. And unless you look carefully you wouldn't know they were there.
Attachments
WP_20150530_21_00_52_Pro.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Are they actually fitted to the bike in that picture?  How much?  Any problems fitting them?  They look like a good comprise between looks and protection
R1250RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Zoom in on the cylinder to see.
Easy to fit and readily available from all dealers
Cost about £200.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

RTman10 wrote: I have the proper head guards. They do protect the bike in a drop keeping all the panels and mirror clear of the ground. Being heavy stainless steel with rubber bits they won't rust or mark. And unless you look carefully you wouldn't know they were there.

Almost invisible.  Nice look, but wouldn't help my bad knees need for highway pegs.  That's mainly why I needed engine bars.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I really do like the idea of minimal bike protection. However, for the life of me I cannot see how that would prevent panel or or any other damage except to the engine case and then it's gonna have to be a static and easing it down gently on to its side. What about the panniers? Back brake or gear shift are they supposed to be protected as well. If it does work that's great and hope it never gets tested  :clap: the same as I do and I have front and rear protection bars, but dread to see if there will be damage in a drop.  :clap:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

With no protection the gear and brake peddles don't touch down in a drop on fiat ground.  If your moving and drop it crash bars can do far more damage than they save by causing damage to casings and sub frames were they attach.  The thing about pannier is they normally touch down near the bottom of the lid.  This can be saved with a £10 bumper strip from Halfords. My logic is, a new lid costs about £90. A bent rear sub frame  that has taken the full weight of the bike through a rear crash bar costs god knows what.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Surely test are made on engineering design and their claims of protection proven? Otherwise they are selling goods that are notvwhatvtgey say they are and I am sure there is a law against that? I know engine guards protected my Tiger 800 because about 2006 I was making a turn and put the front wheel into a big pot hole whilst the bike was leaning scraped the bars. Where as I dropped my GSR on a snowed up winter evening 2010 at Staples Corner cost £300 for back brake pedal and front brake lever. I had no protection on that bike.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Isn't this just another example of non-OEM accessories fitted that BMW will do their best not to endorse in the event of a drop...?? Despite the fact that Touratech and Wunderlich are German engineered parts made for Beemers...?? No, I don't side with BMW on that viewpoint, but that's the response I would expect!! ???
My local dealer commented recently  (after they installed OEM cylinder head guards, ie stainless steel guard with thick rubber liner on my RT LC) that such non-OEM cyl head crash bars can (dependant on forward speed etc) bend/distort sufficiently to impact the head itself !! :eek:
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Steve if I am not mistaken Wunderlicht make the engine bars for Herr Beemer?
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

BMW doesn't offer OEM bars for the LC, if I'm not mistaken, but I have the Wunderlich on mine.
Attachments
farkle2.jpg