Nitrogen filled tires

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BackAtIt53

Nitrogen filled tires

Post by BackAtIt53 »

I just had the air in my Michelin PR4s replaced with Nitrogen, compliments of my local Costco store tire center. As they do not sell motorcycle tires and have no computer codes for same, they were more than happy to do it for free. I had the tires inflated to 37psi front/42 rear. When riding off, I noticed the onboard tire pressure readings at 35/36 indicated. when checked with a pencil gauge, the readings were spot on at 37/42. When asked, my dealer (Motorcycles of Miami) service manager claimed that the wheel sensors do not respond accurately to Nitrogen and he does not know why. He recommended regular checks with a handheld gauge. On the other hand, a leak will register as an indicated pressure loss.
Just wondering if anyone else has replaced air with nitrogen and had similar issues. Would like to know of any other official responses to this issue.
Oh the places we will go
guest2360

Re: Nitrogen filled tires

Post by guest2360 »

There has recently been a programme on UK TV about nitrogen in car tyres.  It has zero effect unless your racing.  Got to ask why you put it in or is there a race series for the RT over there.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I have a couple nitrogen bottles along with the correct regulators that are used on my airplane, as a result they get used on car and motorcycle tires.  Does it make a difference, probably not. Nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules so you will have less leakage. It's used in aviation for specific reasons, inert gas, race cars for expansion rates, none of which, the average driver/ rider would care about
Used as a marketing tool buy tire dealers
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Air contains 78% nitrogen that will do for me.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Were the on-board tyre pressure readings checked with a pencil gauge prior to having N2 fitted.
BackAtIt53 wrote:When asked, my dealer (Motorcycles of Miami) service manager claimed that the wheel sensors do not respond accurately to Nitrogen and he does not know why.
Nitrogen and TPMS, http://www.branick.com/Nitrogen%20-%20W ... 20TPMS.pdf

"Increased TPMS Life – Nitrogen extends the life of the TPMS sensor in the tire by eliminating the moisture and contaminants found in compressed air, which can harm the sensor.
This also prevents contaminants from blocking the small holes in the sensor that detect the pressure, which can give false TPMS alerts."
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

DGDavid,
Honestly, the straight answer is no I did not hand gauge the tires just prior to the gas exchange. Checked them 2 days prior and were within 1psi of display, with the rear adjusting up 1-2psi on the daily highway commute.
Aside from slower leakage rate, there does seem to be something to the cooler running theory, as the rear no longer shows variation during the commute (22 miles of 5 lane highway, average speed 78mph, each way). I have heard extended mileage claims, some reasonable, some exaggerated, as I only have 765 miles on them, time will tell. I plan on keeping track using the 2 trip mileage clocks. Trip 1=solo, Trip 2=2up. I intend to report results in the hopefully distant future.
Oh the places we will go
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nitrogen and TPMS, http://www.branick.com/Nitrogen%20-%20W ... 20TPMS.pdf
"Increased TPMS Life – Nitrogen extends the life of the TPMS sensor in the tire by eliminating the moisture and contaminants found in compressed air, which can harm the sensor.
This also prevents contaminants from blocking the small holes in the sensor that detect the pressure, which can give false TPMS alerts."
[/quote]

They would say that, they flog the stuff.  The only failures I have ever come across are damage caused by dumb tyres fitters and battery failure on aging ones.  Running a bike is expensive enough without spending cash on the only thing you get for free.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My chosen tyre fitter uses N2 to inflate tyres when fitted.

Yes, there are some advantages if you are flying an aircraft or driving an F1 car, however, unlikely to been seen on our motorcycles.

The AA don't seem to think it's worth it,  http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/sa ... 7a9578aad8
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: There has recently been a programme on UK TV about nitrogen in car tyres.  It has zero effect unless your racing.  Got to ask why you put it in or is there a race series for the RT over there.
Yes, the weekly Watchdog prog on BBC 1. As you and the others say, no point really, just a scam that Kwik Fit tyre shops here in the UK were conning Joe Public with...!! ::)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

A few years ago I was offered a Nitrogen fill when I replaced tyres on our Focus Sport. (Derek Campbell Tyres Teesside) I took them up on the offer as it was relatively cheap after the cost of the four new tyres. The problem I had was maintaining the pressure lost during normal running. ie an upcoming long trip to France meant a trip to the Dealets to have the pressures increased to "full load" level. After a few months I just adjusted the pressures myself using good old air.