Route transfer to 660

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
guest2360

Re: Route transfer to 660

Post by guest2360 »

I suspect Mapsource is accepting the map updates but there has been no software updates to it since 2010.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Created a route in MapSource using 2016.10 maps, transferred directly to 660, (didn't ask to re-calculate).

Previewed the route on the Device, the Distance, Time & Shape of the route look spot on, as per MapSource.

This confirms to me that the version of MapSource on my PC works perfectly with my 660.

The "Find Places" option on MS is more user friendly than on BC.
Last edited by David. on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Recently created a route in Basecamp using 2016.10 Maps for the Centre of GB Trip.
Since then, have updated my Garmin Zumo 660 & PC to 2016.20 Maps.
Also successfully transferred the route which was created in BaseCamp to MapSource.
Both BC & MS routes have been emailed to others who have been able to open them up.
Thought I'd have a go at transferring the routes from both BC & MS to my 660.
In both cases, the 660 wanted to recalculate the routes, this is normal as the routes were created in 2016.10, before 2016.20 updates were applied.
When previewing the 4 routes on the 660, in all cases, the distance, time taken & shape of the routes look the same.

Has anyone else who's got the routes had a go at transferring them to their GPS Unit.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Been using Mapsource and Zumo 660 for years with no problems. The Mapsource system only manipulates the Map Data so doesn't need updating if it's working ok.

When constructing the route in Mapsource there are options as to which format to save the file in. Choose .gdb and send to the Zumo as normal. There should not be any recalculating.

If it's a route created on a previous map version then what I do is as follows;

- copy the route over to a new file

- recalculate said route (now in the updated map version) and add a full stop to the name to make it a little different to the old one, also give it a different colour

- paste the original back in and then compare the two to check for any recalculation

- adjust as necessary, delete the original and download the updated route

- providing all versions of map data are the same, then no recalc will take place

I recently bought a little laptop to take on biking trips and successfully downloaded Mapsource (you have to download basecamp first for some reason) and the only issue was that it didn't show the world map (no loss) but did successfully import 2016.2.
All working fine.
You can then proceed to delete Basecamp should you so desire.

It's ok to be a dinosaur.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chris, please may I ask if you've had a go at transferring either or both the MapSource/BaseCamp Centre of GB Routes to your 660, thanks David.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^
@David. The first file arrived from you as a .gpx and the second .gdb. I transferred both (having renamed one) to my Routes folder from 'Downloads' and they both opened in Mapsource as .gdb with no issues. I was expecting the .gpx file to open as straight lines and then have to recalculate but that wasn't the case.
I have noticed that for ages now there is very little, if any, recalculation when 'refreshing' (see earlier post) a route compiled on an earlier map version. Maybe that will be different on the continent where they actually do build new roads.
Chris
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

@David. Sorry, didn't read your post properly. I have just downloaded both routes independently into my 660 with no issues and both opened ok.
I presume you're on 2016.2.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:The first file arrived from you as a .gpx and the second .gdb.
The first file (.gpx) was created in BaseCamp, I had a go at transferring the route to MapSource (.gdb),  your preferred option, then sent a second email.
k9doc wrote:I have just downloaded both routes independently into my 660 with no issues and both opened ok.
I presume you're on 2016.2.
Great stuff, that's 2 of us who know where we are going.

Yes, I'm on the latest 2016.20 Maps for both MapSource & BaseCamp , plus my 660.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.