European breakdown cover

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Highlandbear

European breakdown cover

Post by Highlandbear »

Starting to plan next years trip,to Europe ,any recommendations for breakdown cover i.e.reputable reliable companies, have driven many times with the car but not a bike, have looked at the big guys RAC etc probably the best but not inexpensive
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: European breakdown cover

Post by David. »

Have used Breakdown Direct for Single Trip Cover in the past, https://breakdowndirect.co.uk/.

Have also used Gold Cover, as recommended by WRT.

Will probably be buying a BMW Extended Warranty including Emergency Service on a monthly basis for 6/7 months in 2016.

This thread may be of interest:- http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1 ... l#msg10232
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I have always gone with RAC although thankfully never had to use it abroad.

Took a BMW Insured Warranty on my bike which covers the cost of recovery to a BMW dealer if they can't sort the bike at the roadside, if in UK or R of I but not Europe. Didn't go for the full monty as the RAC cover inc European is not cheap as you rightly point out.

Was a little surprised when quoted exactly the same price for 2 widely differing bikes, a 2011 with 6500 miles and a 2010 with 21000 miles, both with FBMWSH.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I didn't know that the BMW Emergency Service can be purchased on its own or in conjunction with BMW Insured Warranty.

Using this link, http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/ind ... &notrack=1,
I got a Quote of £131.19 per year for ES only in the UK, RofI & Europe.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I've used 2Gether insurance in the past for Europe, cheap and proficient, however that was on a 28yr old LT
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Highlandbear wrote:have looked at the big guys RAC etc probably the best but not inexpensive
The RAC, http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/motorbike-cover, looks a similar price to BMW ES.
Cleverbee wrote:I've used 2Gether insurance in the past for Europe, cheap and proficient
http://www.2gethermotorbreakdown.com/
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Bmw roadside assistance may not be cheap but it works! We were in Cannes and my mates bmw key reader failed. No questions, took it to a garage, put us up for the night. I had a battery fail, came out and sorted me at roadside. I do a couple of European trips a year and have used this cover for the last 7 years.  Every year I moan at renewal but somehow comforted knowing I have it. Even better value if you have the bike parts warranty. Had a new esa shock on this, again without quibble.Sounds like a sales pitch, it's not, just does what it says
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On this occasion, I'd have to agree with the above, if it's got BMW stamped on it, it's likely to be the best.
It's probably just less hassle than other Breakdown Cover providers.

Had a Used Bike Warranty & BMW Emergency Service on my RT when it refused to start at the Eder Dam in Germany on a Sunday in July this year (2015).
The recovery guy came out, couldn't do anything at the roadside, therefore, we were put up in a Hotel at BMW's expense, with a view to being recovered to Kassel on Monday morning.
The Bike started the next day & we rode to Kassel, the fault was diagnosed to be the RHS Handlebar Switch, which was duly changed & we were on our way again.

For this reason, as previously mentioned, I'm probably going to purchase the BMW Extended Warranty & Emergency Service for the period of use of the Bike.
As I don't want to purchase a new LC, it's the next best thing for stress free motoring.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Ha All Thanks for all the info , much appreciated,always better to have a recommendation from someone.
BMW is coming in at £135/annum, although slightly more expensive , you know what you are getting , but will get quotes from the rest
Thanks again
Dave F
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree with DaygloDavid. The BMW package is no cheap, just over £300 for a years cover but lord knows how much somebody else's just extended warranty would cost, It's not easy to work out what the breakdown bit costs. I know that BMW never leaves you stranded. Last year in our trip to Austria one bike failed on a Saturday afternoon on a French motorway near Metz. The owner was supplies with a car which he kept for the rest of the tour as the French dealer was not able to find the problem. The bike was returned to UK to his own dealer who sorted it. He was supplied with a car all time his bike was off the road.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:The BMW package is no cheap, just over £300 for a years cover. It's not easy to work out what the breakdown bit costs.
Using the BMW Motorrad link to Get an Online Quote, an Extended Warranty with £100 Excess is £332.64,
if you include the Emergency Service, the cost is £359.49, an increase of £26.85 for the ES.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So the £135 quote is just breakdown cover?  If so it's very subsidized if joined with extended warranty.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Highlandbear wrote:Starting to plan next years trip, to Europe, any recommendations for breakdown cover.
Are you looking for Annual Cover or just Single Trip.

If you are looking for Single Trip, one way of doing it is to purchase the BMW Extended Warranty including Emergency Service on a monthly basis.
I've got a quote of £33.06 per month with £100 Excess.
Having spoken to BMW Warranty Services, my understanding is that you pay by Direct Debit & the Policy comes in to force after 1 month.
So, apply for an EW inc. ES Policy a month before your trip, cancel the DD on your return & it's cost you £33.06 for a Single Trip.

BMW Warranty Services can be contacted on 020 8666 9204.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Hi Again, All interesting stuff, it will be a single trip, I had UK cover through Swintons at £4/ month which basically got the bike home if it could not be fixed, I have cancelled that now as bike off the road for the winter, just a case of doing the sums for annual uk cover plus one trip abroad
Theory being its a BMW should not break down :)
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Highlandbear wrote:Just a case of doing the sums for annual uk cover.
One of the best value for money UK Breakdown Recovery Covers is provided by AutoAid, http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/.

It's Personal Cover for you & your Spouse to drive any Vehicle.

"If you experience a breakdown, call us and we’ll arrange for the assistance.
You’ll pay for the help yourself, safe in the knowledge that you’re insured and we will reimburse you in full in approximately 14 days."

I've used it on a couple of occasions for my Bike, it works & I would recommend it too.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.