General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

How often do you change & why?

Post by David. »

Yes, we are talking about RT's! - How often & why do you change your RT.

I had a 2007 bike for 3.5 years with 38,000 miles on it & a 2010 Model for 4 years with 36,000 miles on.

Some of the reasons for changing the 2007 Bike were, high mileage, the 2010 Bike was a MU, I liked the colour & styling, had recently retired & deserved to treat myself.

Again, the 2010 Bike was changed mainly because of the mileage & the fact that I preferred the TC over the LC, so therefore bought a low mileage 2012 used TC.

At the moment, there's nothing out there that I would rather have, therefore I'll clean & maintain the 2012 Bike & probably keep it for a while.

Yes, it's nice to run around on a new Bike with a Warranty etc., but on this occasion I'll keep what I've got & buy an Extended Warranty.
guest2360

Re: How often do you change & why?

Post by guest2360 »

Since 1998 I have exchanged them every two or 3 years for no real reason except I could. This LC though I have decided to hang on to it untill there is some radical update which I cannot live without.
Something vital like automatic pannier lid opening like my car boot (US trunk).
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Interesting discussion, thanks for starting it!

I usually change bikes every 4 years or so, some sooner, some later. Most of the time it's nothing more than just getting the itch for something new after seeing something that caught my eye at a bike show or magazine article. Sometimes it's having a few niggling problems that make me wonder about the aging bike and how well it will hold up out on a Tour.

Usually I'll go to a Rally like Americade and test ride some bikes that might interest me. If they're still an option after the ride ill follow up with a local Dealer, ride it again and see if we can make a deal.

I also usually bounce back and forth between HD and BMW. After 4 years of my current RT I've recently taken a few HD test rides and am leaning back towards a RoadKing. Who knows if I'd end up making a deal on one, but my RT is up for sale and I may very well go back to a big V-Twin Comfort Cruiser for awhile.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I suppose anyone working within the BMW Motorrad Network, would know when Demo Models were due for sale and/or any Management Bikes which are floating around, plus staff discounts must be an incentive to change more frequently.

Finance deals & PCP's over say 24 or 36 months may also determine when Bikes come up for sale/replacement.
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I've had many bikes over the years, several Hondas from 650 single Dominator to Goldwing, several Yamaha Dragstars and Viragos, the odd Aprillia, Suzuki VStom, Yam TDM and others. Since 2002 though it has alternated between FJR and BMW GS and RT with the odd CBF 1000 and Honda Varadero thrown in.

Don't usually keep them too long as I suppose I just get bored and fancy a change. Having had so many bikes I am not fixated on any one marque and I think every bike I've owned has had something going for it but there is just summat about these Boxers.
Chris
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

I've had my own companies since 1975 and the company provides me with a 'vehicle'. Since 1999 that's been an RT. We lease them over 5 years some - damn! - every 5 years I have to accept a new one.
Jim

Post by Jim »

In the distant past I would change bikes every 1 to 2 years, just because I had a itch, then got a bike I was real happy with and kept it for 4 years, then 5 years, the last one for only just under 3 years, this one who knows so far just about 2 years of ownership with only 6000 mile on the clock, so as long as I stay in love with it this could be a keeper.