Alternator Removal

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Alternator Removal

Post by Our Gee »

Has anyone removed and re-fitted the Alternator from a Twincam RT. My Haynes Manual says that a BMW Special tool is required to re-fit the Drive Belt or that damage can occur. Also I can only make out three Alternator securing bolts. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Alternator Removal

Post by David. »

I've never removed and re-fitted the Alternator from a Twincam RT, but have had the Drive Belt replaced.
As you say, the Haynes Manual states that a Special Tool is required.
This is one of the few jobs I don't do myself, leaving it to an Independent or a BMW Dealer.
The plastic Drive Belt cover has 5 screws, 2 are at the top (behind the shock absorber & below where the horn is mounted),
the remaining 3 are more easily accessible at the bottom & halfway up below the BMW Logo in the centre of the cover.
Catfunt

Post by Catfunt »

Replacing the drive belt can be achieved without the special tool. I've used a stiff piece of plastic strip (cut up fairy liquid bottle) to ease the belt over the top pulley. Its very fiddly but no more than changing a headlamp bulb. You will need a 34mm socket to rotate the lower pulley. The Jim Von Baden DVD shows the procedure I believe.
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the info chaps, after looking at the video it does look fairly easy to slip the belt off. And the Alternator only has three mounting bolts, two at the nearside and one at the offside. Just in case anyone was wondering why I would want to remove the Alternator, mine is in a shocking state (appearance wise). Looks like the bike's previous (first) owner rode it through a salt mine as the casing is covered with furry corrosion.
Thanks again.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

After the saga involving the front shock removal as posted above the Alternator is now also successfully removed and on the bench for a spruce up. Did you know they are made in India !!.