European breakdown cover

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Highlandbear

Re: European breakdown cover

Post by Highlandbear »

Breakdown direct coming in at £32 and that includes 2 days either side travelling from /to Scotland but my uk policy could cover that certainly cheaper than BMW but add uk cover at £50 for the year ,which only really need 6 month so it's £82 against BMW @£132
Really down to confidence in the company I suppose
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In the same situation, I'd probably do & have done exactly the same.

For Single Trip Euro Cover, I've had a Policy with Breakdown Direct.
(With BD, I believe that the period of Cover (Journey) must include the 2 Days in the UK.)

I also only use my Bike for 6/7 months of the year, therefore, paying monthly with Swinton for UK Cover is the most cost effective.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

The problem I have found over the years both personally and other motorcycling friends is, with RAC and other such companies they are very much focused on cars. The classic being when you say your motorcycle has broken down, one of the questions they ask "is it diesel or petrol"
I remember staying in a small French village after my battery failed, I told the girl on the help line I was an electrician and had tested the battery myself. I also had noted there was a small bicycle/moped shop in the village and told her not to contact them to help. Guess who they sent next morning, I ended up showing them the battery required replacement. Then had to wait a further day for a proper motorcycle dealer 15 miles away to send a new battery.
Another time a friend had a tyre problem in Italy and rang the RAC help line, we waited over 2 hours and in the end sorted it ourselves!
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^ @Bertie

You are confirming what I suspected may be the case re car orientation and the RAC.
I got complimentary RAC cover in 2002 with a new FJR and have kept it on ever since. I've never had to use it abroad but have been recovered in the UK with no problem.

Considering the info on this thread I thought I would upgrade my recently purchased Insured Warranty to the full ES cover for an additional £26 and just use the RAC cover for car trips. Too simple is that. I have to cancel the original policy and take out the new one with an additional months moratorium on any claims. Don't want to risk it at the moment while still riding, so may wait for the real foul weather and then upgrade.

I suspect as previously suggested that a package put together by BMW, although pricey, will be a good product designed for the job.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:I thought I would upgrade my recently purchased Insured Warranty to the full ES cover for an additional £26. I have to cancel the original policy and take out the new one with an additional months moratorium on any claims.
Thanks, that confirms my thoughts too, I'll probably take out an Insured Warranty & Emergency Service on 1st March to start on 1st April 2016.
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlandbear

Post by Highlandbear »

Extended warranty is an emotive issue its really down to the risk factor, Do you spend in excess of £300 for peace of mind ? baring in mind its BMW !! Generally speaking bikes do not do big miles so what is the risk of breaking down ? if it does just take the hit on the cost, again personal view, I have run BMW cars for years , they just don't breakdown
Anyway assuming I can cancel my breakdown cover with BMW half way through the policy(if I pay monthly) that will be the way to go, rather than having uk cover and a single trip cover, BMW can do same for £9 more than other 2 companies added together, win win really, that way have peace of mind in that BMW pretty much does what it says on the tin
Anyone clarify if you can cancel when you want ?
Dave F
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Highlandbear wrote:Anyway assuming I can cancel my breakdown cover with BMW half way through the policy (if I pay monthly) that will be the way to go.
Anyone clarify if you can cancel when you want?
Looking at the Online Quote link, Emergency Service on it's own is not offered on a monthly payment option, only per year.

When I got a quote over the phone for a Warranty plus ES, I was told if you pay for 12 months, you can cancel it with a £25 admin fee & get a pro rata refund.

If you pay monthly for EW & ES, you only pay for the months you require.

Don't know if this is the same for ES only.
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Highlandbear wrote: Extended warranty is an emotive issue its really down to the risk factor, Do you spend in excess of £300 for peace of mind ? baring in mind its BMW !! Generally speaking bikes do not do big miles so what is the risk of breaking down ? if it does just take the hit on the cost, again personal view, I have run BMW cars for years , they just don't breakdown
Anyway assuming I can cancel my breakdown cover with BMW half way through the policy(if I pay monthly) that will be the way to go, rather than having uk cover and a single trip cover, BMW can do same for £9 more than other 2 companies added together, win win really, that way have peace of mind in that BMW pretty much does what it says on the tin
Anyone clarify if you can cancel when you want ?

I cancelled my BMW Insured warranty (paid on monthly instalments of £33 / mth) on my 2010 K13GT when I part exchanged it for my 2015 RT. I cancelled it part way through the year, but that was the flexibility of paying monthly. In actual fact, I'd just missed stopping a monthly debit from my account by two days, but BMW were good enough to credit me back the overpaid instalment without quibble. :)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

DaygloDavid wrote: Thanks, that confirms my thoughts too, I'll probably take out an Insured Warranty & Emergency Service on 1st March to start on 1st April 2016.

I found the BMW Insured Warranty (incl. Emergency Service) to be good value on my 2010 K13GT. Yes, it's over £300 per year to buy the complete package, but when you factor in the unexpected breakdown scenarios that crop up with customers with alarming regularity, e.g. switchgear failures, especially the RH cluster with start switch issues, then it is money well spent I believe. Just look at the cost of a dealer replacement switchgear cluster!! :eek: However, read the small print in the warranty booklet very carefully, as several items are exempt or mileage limited, e.g. ESA malfunctions.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:In actual fact, I'd just missed stopping a monthly debit from my account by two days, but BMW were good enough to credit me back the overpaid instalment without quibble.
BMW Warranty Services do seem reasonable to deal with.

Was speaking to a guy yesterday who cancelled his Extended Warranty the day before he was due to Part-Ex. his GS for another one.
Inadvertently, he put a splash of Diesel in before going to the Dealers.
BMW WS were good enough to recover him & his Bike to the Dealers for him to collect his new one.
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.