Still no locking system or gadget???

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
guest2360

Re: Still no locking system or gadget???

Post by guest2360 »

With only two small plastic lugs holding the unit in, it would be foolhardy to ever leave it in the cradle unattended. Adding something that makes taking it off more difficult would lead me to probably leave it on for a quick trip to a shop etc. And then it's sure to get ripped off. And you just know that your insurance company will be only too willing to compensate you for a replacement. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Even the secure locking feature on my k1600, will deter only the casual miscret, if some really wants it no amount of security will prevent its removel. My RT has been parked at some sketchy places and so far so good
If your leaving bike unattended for any length of time, cover it, out of sight out of mind
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

T6pilot wrote: Even the secure locking feature on my k1600, will deter only the casual miscret, if some really wants it no amount of security will prevent its removel. My RT has been parked at some sketchy places and so far so good
If your leaving bike unattended for any length of time, cover it, out of sight out of mind

On your 1600 as you know you can cover it using the plastic clip on thingy.  You also would have to remove quite a bit of the dash to get hold of the unit.  Far more exposed on the RT.  So roll in the day we get the same system. Its nearly the same clocks so I for one can't see why not.
USTourer

Post by USTourer »

You can make it more difficult for the occasional thievs. Remove the windshield and the cover. The pushbutton held in place by a small hook on the side of the button. Remove that piece, and you will have a mobil button that you can place anywhere, like one of the glovebox. Alternatively you can male a buttom/key using a piece of 1/8" or 3mm aluminum flat rod. It does'nt have to be half circular in section.
It is not fullproof but stealing the "crown of your dashboard" now requires much more effort, since there will be a hole instead of a button.
Last edited by USTourer on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

STeinar wrote: Interesting to read, as this is exactly how I'm working on mine :-)
Good documented also - grate job  ^-^

Only difference is that I'm trying to block the upper locking mechanism on the top of the holder to be able to be lifted.
This as I find that it's easier to dismount the GPS - if only the push-button is blocked.

More to come  ;)
Prototype up and running:

[attach=1]

I have drilled a 3mm hole in the back of the holder - accurate so that when a 3mm piano-wire is inserted into the hole - the whole locking mechanism is locked.

[attach=2]

Seems to work like planned  ^-^

Attachments
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg
ppalac

Post by ppalac »

STeinar wrote: Prototype up and running:

[attach=1]

I have drilled a 3mm hole in the back of the holder - accurate so that when a 3mm piano-wire is inserted into the hole - the whole locking mechanism is locked.

[attach=2]

GOOD JOB!!!  Really like that locking mod! 
Sid47

Post by Sid47 »

Loved it, T6Pilot! As simple as possible, but no simpler.

I'm now tempted to try a v2.0 - drill 3/32th hole (we're metric over here in Oz, but we weren't when I went to school so I still convert everything back! :) ) and drop a ferrous 1/16th pin into the hole just short of flush with the cowling, and stow a magnet in the lockable glovebox.  Pull the lock pin with the magnet when you want to remove the unit.

I [size=78%]doubt anyone savvy enough to be familiar with how the Nav V release works and desperate enough to steal, would be enough of a forward planner to carry a magnet to the heist![/size]
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Why do I think the magnet idea sounds a bit Wallace & Gromit ish....???  ;)
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

STeinar wrote: Prototype up and running:

It's now up and running on the bike, and works as planned  ^-^

Sure - if someone really would like to steel it - they could by using brutal force.
But better than none! 

I don't leave it on the bike during night etc, but this lets me leave the GPS on the bike when fueling or having a coffee 

stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Seems you may have solved this problem then  STeinar,  well done...... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Collesidis

Post by Collesidis »

[size=2px]Looks great STeinar! Do you have the factory satellite radio on your RT? I seem to have clearance issues between the [/size]solenoid[size=2px] and Receiver. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Collesidis wrote: [size=2px]Looks great STeinar! Do you have the factory satellite radio on your RT? I seem to have clearance issues between the [/size]solenoid[size=2px] and Receiver. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
No no satellite units here in Europe
Steinar
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Morning All,

Sorry to go back over old ground, but does anyone know is there's an update for this yet?  Got to say that this is my only significant gripe with an otherwise brilliant bike (2016 spec with Nav V).  I guess like most people I'm just looking for something to deter the casual miscreant if I leave the bike for a short while in the daytime, but not to have an engineering task to remove it overnight.  Something like a lock bolt through the push button (as previously suggested) that means the screen needs to be up to remove it.  Previously on the GT I used a Touratech above-the-clocks mounting bar and one of their secure cradles, which was fine.

Can't believe that BMW didn't spot this one coming.  Maybe they want to sell more Nav V's.  :shirty:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Been using sat nav on various bikes for 10 years plus, never had a locking cradle and never had a gps stolen. But I can remember to take it out of the cradle when I'm not there.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Going back to the BMW Nav I, that had a locking system as you had a special little screwdriver that locked the button down. There were quite a few instances of owners finding damage to the bike caused by thieves attempting  to rip the GPS off and even more of owners loosing the screwdriver and being unable to take it off. 
Far better to go out of sight, out of mind.  I owned a 1600 GTL for over 3 years but still felt uneasy leaving the Nav on display.