BMW Topbox with additional brake and indicator lights

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest3074

BMW Topbox with additional brake and indicator lights

Post by guest3074 »

I previously posted that I had added a brake light to the BMW topbox using the skene P3 here

I've updated it by using both the red LED strips and adding the indicators (ST lights), I like to be different ;)

Attachments
IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG
Last edited by guest3074 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: BMW Topbox with additional brake and indicator lights

Post by Steve F »

Hey Benchmark, that set up's looking good. Re the Skene controller, LEDs etc, who supplied it and for how much approx? Do you have the OEM central locking loom under the seat on your bike, or did you splice into the existing rear light loom?
In light (no pun intended!) of the frustration of not being able to retro fit the OEM hi-level brake light into my 'basic' spec 49 litre new RT box, your option looks just the job!
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Steve.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Hi Steve,

When I first fitted the extra brake light I had the P3 kit from a previous bike so fitted that as per the instruction on their site, since then I have gone for the clearwater Darla lights at the front with the CANopener from clearwater. This allows for the Darla's to be controlled from the wonderwheel and also the brightness of the Darla's to change automatically by the bikes light sensor and to go to full brightness as soon as full beam is selected.
As I have the CANopener I have moved the control of the additional tail\brake light to the CANopener as it has the ability to control it and removed the previous P3 controller.
The CANopener connects directly into the bike without any mods\alterations and also provides an ignition source to trigger the FZ1 or PDM60 fuse box.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com//infopg_CANopener.html

I obtained the ST kit from Skene in the USA http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/ST_Features.shtml
For the indicators using the ST kit I connected into the wiring for the rear light for the trigger to operate the extra indicators.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hi Benchmark,
Many thanks for the informative response - much appreciated. I'll go away and have a look at all this over the coming weeks.
Thanks again.

Steve.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

My first attempt at a video to show something, here is the lights in action with the extra features the ST kit can perform on the indicators should you connect a switch on the trigger wire.

Video here
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

Looks good. Handy if your stuck at the side of the road!
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Benchmark wrote: My first attempt at a video to show something, here is the lights in action with the extra features the ST kit can perform on the indicators should you connect a switch on the trigger wire.

Video here
Thanks Benchmark for sharing the vid. Nice and bright LEDs !! :)