No spark ?.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mickthecat

No spark ?.

Post by Mickthecat »

Hi guys,

Just been out to start  the RT. It turned over but won't fire. Last used about a month ago. Battery is good, plenty of fuel in. Took a plug out & turned it over with it touching the cylinder head & can't see a spark.
Any ideas what checks do I need to make ? 1996 1150.
Many thanks
Mick
Last edited by Mickthecat on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: No spark ?.

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:Took a plug out & turned it over with it touching the cylinder head & can't see a spark.
Has the plug on the other cylinder been checked for a spark, this may help to diagnose whether the problem is common to both cylinders or not.

Is this the Bike in question.

Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Hi David

Thanks for your reply 

Yes that's the bike. No spark to either side

Regards

Mick
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Probably the ignition sensor has packed up.  Lives in the bottom of the front engine cover and over the years can suffer from corrosion. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

So it looks like a problem which is common to both cylinders.

I see from this thread, http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1350.0.html, that you have changed the Hall Sensor.
My understanding "Google" is that the Hall Sensor has two Sensors (Top & Bottom),  one which triggers the Ignition & one which triggers the Injection.

How about the Ignition Coil, this pdf. Document http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/oi ... ensors.pdf shows how to test the Coil & Hall Sensor.

Is the wiring/insulation in good condition & are all connectors clean, something "Going to Earth" may kill the Spark.

From the Reg. No. the Bike is a 1997 R1100RT.
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Yes I replaced the HES with one from Motorworks ( although it was a used one ) & all has been fine so far . I'll check the coil & wiring tomorrow. Are there any electrical connectors in particular I should look at first ?.
Regards
Mick
Last edited by Mickthecat on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I believe that if an Injector is removed, the HES can be checked to see if it is sending a signal to the Injection System.

I suppose the first place to start with the wiring/connectors etc. would be to check anything related to the Ignition System.

Is the Bike garaged or out in the elements.
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Its garaged. However the last time it was out was in a downpour. Not sure at all if that'd have any bearing ?.

Thanks

Mick
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:However the last time it was out was in a downpour. Not sure at all if that'd have any bearing.
Moisture & electricity don't mix together very well, any breaks in insulation may cause the current to arc against other metallic parts of the Bike & "go to ground (earth)" before getting to the spark plug.

This may sound a little odd, try starting the Bike in the dark & look to see if anything is arcing against the frame etc.

Protecting the electrics with something like ACF-50 which dispels moisture, but conducts electricity may be helpful.
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

DaygloDavid wrote: I believe that if an Injector is removed, the HES can be checked to see if it is sending a signal to the Injection System

Got the plastics off & pulled the injectors. There's no  fuel passing through them when the bike is turning over. It's priming ok.
Had a look at the wiring & there's nothing that looks out of place. Is there a way of testing the coil itself ?

Regards

Mick
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When you switch on can you here the fuel pump start up, just a quick wearing noise. If not then it could be that. Its in the top left of the tank. They can also suffer from corrosion.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:Got the plastics off & pulled the injectors. There's no fuel passing through them when the bike is turning over.
Looking at these Forums,
http://www.2wheeltours.hashsg.com/index.php?topic=193.0,
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/h ... or.688232/,
they both suggest that if there is no spray/squirt from the Injector, then the HES is u/s.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:Is there a way of testing the coil itself?
Page 5 of the pdf. Document shows how to do a resistance check on the Coil, http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/oi ... ensors.pdf
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Well I got a new HES from MotorWorks & she fired up first prod of the starter  ^-^

Thanks for your help

Mick
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Mickthecat wrote: Well I got a new HES from MotorWorks & she fired up first prod of the starter ^-^
Thanks for your help
Mick
Just shows what a good and useful `forum' this is, and  where you got lots of help.    Glad your now up and mobile again..... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window